Thread: Cooler Seat Options? (No More Leather!!)

Question Cooler Seat Options? (No More Leather!!)

I've never understood why manufacturers insist on putting leather in convertibles. Its hot. It doesn't breathe. Its hot... At least mine aren't black! As we approach spring/summer here, I'd like to have something other than leather. I actually like the shape of the NB seats a lot, even if they could use a little more lower back support. I checked out getting the seats recovered in a matching fabric, but was stunned at the cost ($860 plus for the pair, and that was just recovering the seat fronts). I thought about buying a pair of used fabric seats, but they're pretty much only available in black (a nice cool color Plus, I'd like to stay with tan to match the rest of my interior). Still, I suppose that's better than nothing... I know racing seats are an option, but I'd like to keep the more 'classic roadster' look I've got going, rather than 'racer wannabe' (not a dig on anyone here, but I don't autocross/race). Just putting covers over the leather looks a bit sloppy, and with the leather underneath, I'd still end up with a sweat covered back after a drive.

So... anyone have any ideas? I could probably put new covers on myself, but does anyone even make what I'm looking for? For not stupid money?? I know this sounds like a thing to whine about, but I hate having my clothes soaked after a drive!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    I know this sounds like a thing to whine about, but I hate having my clothes soaked after a drive!
    How are new seats going to help you with your bladder control issues??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post

Cloth seats will absorb. It just pools on the leather....

Talking

Set for under $50!

Or even Better!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

How about some Seat Ventilation?

Sheepskins!!!

Custom fit Cloth covers

Somewhere I saw Miata upholstry kits that were leather with an Alcantara (Synthetic Suede) insert. I can't find it in my links though. My 10AE seats were like this and they were comfortable to me in the summer.

If I reupholster, I would go with this last option.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    How about some Seat Ventilation?
    Interesting idea. I wonder how much air they would move since my seat is all the way way back and wedged against the bulkhead.

I have given some serious thought to these. May not look great, but do the job. The problem is that all the ones I've seen are pretty thick. I'm already a tight fit in the Miata at 6'2". I'm afraid the thickness might push me too far forward for comfort. (me --> )

Custom fit Cloth covers
    These look great. Except for the part where they say they aren't available any more.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    These sound pretty good (and look good, too)! Has anyone tried these in the summer? Neoprene doesn't strike me as something that would 'breathe', but it might be fine if you were just sitting on it (as opposed to wearing a tight wetsuit, for example). And the black and tan combo would be great! And $150 is a hellova lot better than $850!! I'd love to know if anyone here has tried these or seen them in person.

I've only heard one review on the Neoprene seats. It was several years ago. A friend ordered them in red and they faded. He had a tough time getting them to warranty it. I think they were Wet Okole.

Here are some Miata.net reviews.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Beaded seat covers?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Beaded seat covers?
    Thanks for the plug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Ask NASA... they have plenty of adult sized diapers to go around. Hell, they even lend them out to their craziest astronauts!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Ask NASA... they have plenty of adult sized diapers to go around. Hell, they even lend them out to their craziest astronauts!
    Lend?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    I've never understood why manufacturers insist on putting leather in convertibles. Its hot. It doesn't breathe. Its hot... At least mine aren't black!
    I'm interested in this thread too. I love the look and feel of the tan leather in my car, but it's going to get hot! It's Texas, we have 100+ degree days in the summer, and that leather is going to be, well, hot! (At least mine aren't black either!)

I don't want to throw a towel over the seats, and I don't think I want to hide that beautiful leather under sheep skin. I've resigned myself to beaded seat covers unless someone has a better option.

Where's the best place to buy a nice set of beaded seat covers?
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo