Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Alternator whine?

  1. #1

    Default Alternator whine?

    Ok, so I searched the pointy board and I found alot of threads but no explination of what it is or how to fix it. I have a whine coming from my engine compartment, it is a very faint whine. It is not related to engine speed, or vehicle speed; but when I use something that draws power (I.E. radio, blinkers, power windows . .) the wine changes slightly in pitch. I am thinking that this is my alternator. I plan on going to autozone to have it checked, but is this a serious problem? I am coming home in a week, and don't want my car to die in the middle of nowhere. Thanks
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

  2. #2

    Default

    Maybe somebody sneaked a supercharger in there somewhere
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

  3. #3

    Default

    I'd get it checked!

    Since you are making the run from Lubbock to DFW, I'd think I'd buy a new one to eliminate any possibilities of unexpectedly getting to reenact scenes from Deliverance.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 03-09-2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: To please Madmonkey ;-)

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Defiantly get it checked!
    I dunno, the mechanics might be nicer if he wasn't defiant
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

  5. #5
    Obnoxious at any speed altiain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Far south Dallas (Austin)
    Posts
    10,458

    Default

    If the alternator dies, it will strand you. There's a good chance it will take the battery with it, as well. Considering how little there is in West Texas, I'd pony up and replace it before you head out. It isn't hard to replace, and a rebuilt one should be less than $100 from NAPA or somewhere similar.

    In five years of ownership, the only time my Miata left me stranded was due to a dead alternator.
    Iain

    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I'd get it checked!

    Since you are making the run from Lubbock to DFW, I'd think I'd buy a new one to eliminate any possibilities of unexpectedly getting to reenact scenes from Deliverance.
    I bet he'd make a nice piggy.

    Blah blah blah!

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'd pony up and replace it before you head out. It isn't hard to replace, and a rebuilt one should be less than $100 from NAPA or somewhere similar.
    I was afraid it was going bad, and had alredy planned on getting a replacement. Off to NAPA it is. Thanks for the help.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

  9. #9

    Default

    How much tension should the drive belt have?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

  10. #10
    Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder
    sammm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    How much tension should the drive belt have?
    You don't want it super tight. There should still be a bit of deflection after you adjust it. You'll probably want to check it again after a week or so because it will stretch.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You don't want it super tight. There should still be a bit of deflection after you adjust it. You'll probably want to check it again after a week or so because it will stretch.
    Thanks Sam.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •