Thread: Drove a 2001 385 HP ZO6 today

Default Drove a 2001 385 HP ZO6 today

My boss just fulfilled a dream of owning a Vette by buying a 17K mile 2001 Z06 today and the fool actually let me drive it! I have driven the 1984 and 1985 Vettes that my Dad owned plus a 1985 Ferrari Testarossa, but this was probably the most powerful car I have driven, especially in regards to acceleration. Man, it was fast! Actually, it was too fast. Whereas I can floor the Miata and still feel in complete control, I was very overwhelmed when I floored the Vette. Perhaps I would get used to the Vette, but I really like the ability to comfortably drive the Miata at 100%. As they say, it is more fun to drive a slow car at 100% than a fast car at 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I was very overwhelmed when I floored the Vette.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I drove a Z06 and felt completely in control. Of course it was right after I returned a Viper GTS that I had rented. I never really liked the C5's I thought they where just for people who liked to do burn outs. But driving that Z06 completely changed my mind.

It was smooth and nimble with plenty of power. Not as much as the Viper but I could use the power in the Z06. The viper was always trying to go left or right on me.

I think the Z06 is a spectacular car for the money. It's the Miata of the $50K-$100K market. lol
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Whereas I can floor the Miata and still feel in complete control, I was very overwhelmed when I floored the Vette.
    Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    I drove a Z06 and felt completely in control
    Translated = You're a

I've only driven a Z06 on a race track and liked it a lot, but I can see what RJ means about the acceleration being overwhelming compared to a Miata (or my Si).

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Translated = You're a

S.
    His words...Not mine! lol
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

I would love to have the opportunity. I guess the fastest car I have driven was a modified awd eclipse. It had high HP, but I bet it isnt anywhere as fast.

It was not like I was out of control or frightened, but I just was not as comfortable as in my Miata. Things just happen so much faster that felt a little bit of sensory overload. I would probably get used to it, though... at least in a striaght line.

It was not like I was out of control or frightened, but I just was not as comfortable as in my Miata.
    We're just bustin yer balls. I understand and agree with your points. Besides, you're talking to a guy who managed to knock over a light pole with his first Miata. 140hp was apparently too much for me to handle!

S.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    you're talking to a guy who managed to knock over a light pole with his first Miata. 140hp was apparently too much for me to handle!

S.
    Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Do tell!
    That was seven years ago. In New Mexico. With my 2000 EMG Sport. Lost it in some gravel on a corner I had taken a hundred times before. Talk about a sh!tty night.

S.

My boss just fulfilled a dream of owning a Vette by buying a 17K mile 2001 Z06 today and the fool actually let me drive it!
    Was the "385 hp" a whp figure?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Was the "385 hp" a whp figure?
    385 was the marketed HP for 2001, which I assume is off the crank. Chevy then upped it to 405 HP with the 2002 Z06 Vettes, and now to 500 HP with the current Z06 Vettes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all manufacturer HP figures are off the crank.

I drove a 2005 Z06 once. That thing had tons of power.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

385 was the marketed HP for 2001, which I assume is off the crank. Chevy then upped it to 405 HP with the 2002 Z06 Vettes, and now to 500 HP with the current Z06 Vettes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all manufacturer HP figures are off the crank.
    You are correct.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw