Thread: Somber Weekend at Hallett

Default Somber Weekend at Hallett

I had a great weekend of racing, but Mike Stevens of Hallett passed away (from illness) at 9PM, Saturday night.

For those who might remember Mike, he is the older man who runs Hallett with his wife Connie, and son Scott and others.

Mike was always the guy up on the 2nd floor of the clubhouse during HST and COMMA events classroom time.

I'm glad I got to know him over the past several years.

He ran a great lifelong race where he took god's chequered flag!
    -Brian
    '99 supercharge MX5, '92 SPEC MX5 (shared w/icepenguin66), '02 ZO6 track car, '99 Viper RT/10, '96 LT4 vette, '79 vette, '07 Jeep Commander HEMI (to pull everything!)

I never knew Mike, but Connie and Scott have always been cordial in my handful of trips to their track.

I met him several times. Very friendly and always willing to share a story.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Hey, Hallett drivers,

You are invited to a celebration at Hallett in Mike’s honor the Fourth of July. We will begin gathering around 5:30 in the afternoon. The “official” ceremony will begin at 6:45. Around 8:00 the Finish Line CafĂ© will provide a cookout (many of you may remember how Mike loved to fix hamburgers and hot dogs on Saturday COMMA nights!) When it gets dark around 9:15, there will be fireworks. If you bring your fireworks to add to ours, we can make the sky even brighter for Mike. Come for any part of the evening you might be able to. Bring your children - as Mike’s grandchildren Shelby, Senna, and Max have plans for playmates.

Most of you have been Mike’s racing buddies, crew members, family friends, fans,

HST classroom students, Stephens Racing students in High Performance Driving . . . This email list has certainly grown through the years since the time Mike Stephens asked his secretary (wife Connie) to keep in touch with COMMA members. . . then we added the Legends. . . then High Speed Touring. . . then several guest series (SW Formula Mazdas, BMWCCA, Miatas, etc.) In case you have not already heard, Mike crossed the finish line Saturday night at home after a difficult year of illness. All his close family members were with him when he took his last sigh. If you have not heard about Mike’s challenges and want to know more, you can visit www.caringbridge.org the site name is: michaelstephens

One of Mike’s many visions for Hallett was a proper winners’ circle. The Stephens’ and their COMMA family have decided to dedicate the new winners’circle to Michael Ross Stephens in acknowledgement of his many years of looking out for the “racer.” You may send memorial donations to:

Hallett Winners’ Circle, c/o Malcolm and Barbara Joyce, 403260 W. 2380 Dr., Bartlesville, OK 74006-0425 (Please include with your donation a clear spelling of your name the way you want it to appear on the memorial list of donors.)
    I'm planning on attending if anyone wants miata crew company.