Thread: Last session of the day; 3 minutes left!!!

Default Last session of the day; 3 minutes left!!!

So Tim the Teacher and I went to MSR yesterday to run the 1.3 CCW through APEX.

It’s the last session of the day. (session 7 of 7)I’m coming across the front straight and I’ve just let a Lotus Elise pass me. I make the left hand turn and proceed through the downhill section. I execute the braking point at the bottom of the hill and make the sharp left-hander. Unfortunately, I carry too much speed into the turn and start to drift. I’m drifting toward the outside of the track, but there is no track width left since the 1.3 zigzags on the bottom straight. I have to make the decision of whether or not it is worth it to spin out at the fastest part of the track and risk damaging my car, or go off the track and keep my car in as much control as possible. I chose to go off-roading. At first, it was smooth grass and mud and then suddenly I’m air born!!! I come to a stop at the edge of the track, just as the yellow flag goes up and 3 cars pass me! I’m glad I didn’t spin, now. This all happened very fast, since I was doing around 90mph at the bottom of the hill!!!
    Once I’m in the pits, I examine my car to find mud and grass all over my car and this damage to my front spoiler. It’s unfortunate since it was at the end of the day, but whatever, it’s a track car……………………I mean, it's my daily driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems you got off light. That looks repairable.

Glad you're safe.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

lookin' good, buddy. We'll make something work for a repair
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    lookin' good, buddy. We'll make something work for a repair
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    So Tim the Teacher and I went to MSR yesterday to run the 1.3 CCW through APEX.

Once I’m in the pits, I examine my car to find mud and grass all over my car and this damage to my front spoiler. It’s unfortunate since it was at the end of the day, but whatever, it’s a track car……………………I mean, it's my daily driver.
    Coulda been a whole lot worse!!
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Coulda been a whole lot worse!!
    +1

At least you were able to drive it home!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    I didn't realize you'd met Bo...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I missed the action by 3 minutes because my fuel light came on and I had to leave the last session 3/4 of the way done. We had a blast and Apex graduated me to solo on the 1.3 for the last two sessions of the day. Lots of good lessons learned and everyone was safe. I love having the two Roadster seats and harnesses installed for myself and passenger
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I didn't realize you'd met Bo...
    Somebody found my first car!!
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

I remember seeing a Spec Miata out at TMS last year that was BRILLIANTLY designed... It was paint matched to blue duct tape...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Banned

Yep, get offs at speed can always go either way. Looks to be light. Dad hit a cone last year while going off. The off roading wasn't bad, but when the cone cleared the rear lip, it ripped a nice $700 dollar chunk out of the bumper cover. No, it was not a Miata. Don't be afraid of the Frankenstein look with some holes and zip-ties. Like you said, it's a track car. Drive it 'till it pukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    blah blah fuel light blah blah