Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCA Auto-X 10-24-04 TMS Infield

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    ...What time ya figuring on, POS?
    Don't we normally meet at like 6:30?? What time does registration open for SCCA??

Pretty sure we met at 7 last time.... I'm changing tires at the house and rolling from there... I'll probably be up for meeting you guys at McDs...

Also, FWIW my friend (fwMiata, you knwo him... ) Chris is going to be out there in teh morning with toys to show off..

Quote Originally Posted by Thorage327
    ok. here goes. in an effort to get to know more of the local fanatic autox crowd, i'm gonna come out a bit before noon (with a very nicely prepared Spec Miata as a rolling bill-board). anyone up for some burger there? i think i'll bring out the bbq grill and cook from the back of Bubba.

i'm not going to be autoXing, but it'd be fun to hang for a while. i'll bring the usual assortment of tools in case there is a need for paddock repairs.
    Just look for the big red Dually Dodge with the spec Miata in tow....

... and the North Texas / South Oklahoma folks can meet there too! I'll probably have breakfast with my fellow MME autocrossers (I know they are thrilled ). What time ya figuring on, POS?

I have to miss out on this weekend's festivities... I've already email JStankus to let him know I'm out...

I'm not happy about it...

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Pretty sure we met at 7 last time.... I'm changing tires at the house and rolling from there... I'll probably be up for meeting you guys at McDs...
    I think you are correct Sir!

7am it is!

Dang 3Bean that stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    I think you are correct Sir!

7am it is!

Dang 3Bean that stinks!
    Does anyone want to use my canopy? I figure standing around all day out there might not be so bad under some shade.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I have to miss out on this weekend's festivities... ...
    Bummer 3Bean...we're gonna miss ya'!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Does anyone want to use my canopy? I figure standing around all day out there might not be so bad under some shade.
    Can any of you kids in Oklahoma go grab that Canopy? It would be nice to have some shelter tomorrow since there isn't much available on the infield.

Still sucks he can't go......

Would you like to meet somewhere? Actually, is Kestrel going? Perhaps anyone else in southern OK?

you guys live in OK?

car washed, race tires on, aired up etc... Now just to wake up and go racin'!

My buddy and I will see you guys at McD's....

ill be there...
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I had a great time on the road course. It was fun and it was fast! Thanks to Thorage327 for cooking up some burgers and pooches for all of us! Thanks again and nice to meet you. It was good to see the ATS Racing crew out there as well.

I don't know how many Miatae were there in total, but we had a very nice turnout!

<rant mode=on>
    We only got 3 runs again! What happened to overtime be damned? The event ran smooth for the most part, and I think the run reduction was an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction! We probably could have had time for 4, but it seems we spent over 30 minutes or so waiting for a few of the 'mod' boys to get in their last few runs at the end of the day. Total bullsh*t that we all had to wait while they were adjusting air pressures, watering down their tires and who knows what else. If they want to have hot runs, then they should suffer the consequences of having no time in between. PERIOD! If it had been anyone else, do you think they would have received the same consideration? The answer to that question is a no-brainer.
    <rant mode=off>

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    <rant mode=on>
    We only got 3 runs again! What happened to overtime be damned? <rant mode=off>
    <rant mode = on>
    I'm in full agreement with ya Sammm! Hey Ramey & Kids of the SCCA next time why don't you just say we are going to do three runs then kick the bonus run! Makes you look a lot better than saying four than mid way thought the first heat pulling the 4th run. Try to under promise and over deliver It make ya look better!

Also what was up with the bonehead in the Mustang doing donuts in the parking lot! I thought that was grounds for immediate dismissal from the event, and all this tool got was a warning.

I didn’t see any of the stuff with the “mod” boys, but maybe we should just ban all non fendered cars from future events, except for SpinOutF500 . <Rant mode = turned down>

The event seemed to go pretty good, did we have the newer computers in the trailer Kestrel? Seemed as if the only issues were with the new timing light and those delays weren’t all that bad. It also appeared as if we had enough time for the magical fourth run, which I would have greatly appreciated yesterday.

I really did aprecciate the grub from thorage327, also liked the Spec Miata he brought out for his shop (Track Ready Performance) for us to look at! Bling, Bling!

Default Wheee!

First off... Whee!!! That was one speedy course! All attempts at slowing people down succeeded only in creating 1.4 million DNF's and some busy corner workers catching cones. Not to mention a hectic job for the trailer workers getting all those cones and DNF's punched in to the computer.

Secondly, my apologies to anyone that came within 10 feet of me during 4th heat. My fuse was a bit sparky, Sparky. It would probably be best if the induhvidual that checked in for his trailer work assignment in heat 4 and then left never get within 10 feet of me since I did his job for him...

It was certainly great having all the visitors - even those members of Team Lucky Charm like Chris that managed to win CS while sliding backwards through the lights into a pile of pointer cones...

I didn't notice new computers, but everything in the trailer seemed to go smoothly -- at least during the third (my) heat. Control was... in control, the scribe was on top of things, the Starter was paying attention to both the Trailer and the course, and the computer guy managed to keep up with all the cone calls and DNFs. It was coming fast and furious at times, as we had four cars on course most of the time (as opposed to the usual 3).

We had the usual poor numbering (in particular, a co-driven Merlot NB Miata, that was allowed to run with it's numbers turned upside-down -- and no other markings -- as FM199 , and couple of Novices who were allowed to run with very small "N"s in front of their normal class numbers ) and the usual non-registered cars, but nothing too terrible.

I thought everything went a lot better this time. At least they are trying to improve the operation. The 3 run limit was a definite bummer, especially after announcing that we would get 4! Oh well. I left during the 4th heat, so I didn't get to experience any of the Mod car misbehavior.

Overall, I'd say there were tons of improvement over the last road course event and significant improvement over the last bus lot event. :)
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Hey did I mention I finished second in ES yesterday ahead of my hero and mentor!

Sadly I wasn't even in the same area code as the winner of ES but I'm thinking he must have cut across the infield to post the time he got!

So how did the rest of you kids do??

We had the usual poor numbering (in particular, a co-driven Merlot NB Miata, that was allowed to run with it's numbers turned upside-down -- and no other markings -- as FM199...
    That's Greg Ward's car. I saw the upside-down numbers as he pulled to the line at one point, and wondered what the hell was going on. I don't know who told him he could do that, but I can make some guesses.

Don't blame Tech for that - Spokes annual Tech stickers (Greg is the VP of Spokes) are honored at our events, so that car never came through Tech.

Speaking of Mod cars - one Mod car in particular - I've just about had it. John Garcia went absolutely apeshit on some poor Novice at some point during the 4th heat for getting out of his car while he was waiting in the staging line. At the time the course was not hot (I don't remember why), and the guy jumped out of his car for a second, causing no harm to anyone and not holding up the event in the slightest... unlike JG and his finicky, overheating Ralt that had to be rolled to the starting line by a crew of three with a crash cart.

The course was fun, but yet again the event was - imho - plagued by minor problems. POS put it well above - I'd rather be told three runs and be suprised with a bonus fourth then told four runs and be disappointed when one is pulled. Add the little delays, our resident Mod car prima donna's behavior (both in Tech and during the 4th heat), the plague of reruns, and it was another typical Texas Region event.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

C Stock got schooled by the out-of-towners. Chris Williams up from Austin ended up winning the class with a 56.495. Of course, he did get three extra looks at the course, which probably helped a bit. miata_racer came up from Houston to take second place in a borrowed NA Miata on old tires.

lunutjon squeaked by me on his fourth run (I think I'm the only guy in C Stock who didn't get one or more reruns ) to take 3rd place, and I ended up in 4th after picking up a cone on my best run.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

We had the usual poor numbering (in particular, a co-driven Merlot NB Miata, that was allowed to run with it's numbers turned upside-down -- and no other markings -- as FM199...
    That was Tom Holt. His car broke the transmission after 1 or 2 runs. So he and his co-driver were looking for rides. And since there were not a heck of a lot of FP cars around, he ended up borrowing Greg Wards car to make his runs. His co-driver, Vitek (the creator of AxWare) ended up in the SM2 corvette that took out 10 or so cones on his first run in it.

John

Overall I think most of the points have been covered....

I was the lucky corner worker in teh 2nd heat who got to actually call all of those DNF's... I'd say fully 30% of that heat missed the last gate before the finish (that jog to the left you had to make) I know some of the miata guys did it as well..... That and nearly getting run over by a coupel outta control cars as they spun off course *trying* to make the gate....

All in all though, the event was run pretty smoothly.. One minor delay for some issues with the timing lights at the finish (aslo as I was standing tehre) We came up to teh conculsion that next time when the wind picks up we need to use bigger rocks :)D

But yeah, what teh heck was up with 3 runs?!? Last time we got cut to 3 after a car went off course and they had to re-do the course etc... I understand that... This time we were all but done at like 3:30?? I dunno whose decision taht was, but I disagree with it... We had plenty of time for another run.. {/rant]

Oh, and be sure to thank thorage for the burgers... He somehow managed to sacrifice the grill to the highway gawds on the way back to my house... Apparantly wind will actually pick up a gas grill, lift it OVER a spec miata behind the truck and send it sailing into the ditch with a scrapnel explosion. :eek:

I dunno how I ended up in class... I think 2nd to one of the M3s? BSP started out with 2 people pre-registered, but at teh event I know there were at least 4 cars I saw running around he paddock in BSP... Just wiatin for teh results I guess....
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast