Thread: power windows

Default power windows

so i changed the window regulator this weekend. easy right? NO! trying to get that cable as tight as possible while holding the motor and holding the door and pushing the wires tight was quite difficult. anyone have a better way to do it? eventually ill have to do the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    so i changed the window regulator this weekend. easy right? NO! trying to get that cable as tight as possible while holding the motor and holding the door and pushing the wires tight was quite difficult. anyone have a better way to do it? eventually ill have to do the passenger side.
    Trickyrix just did this I think. Hopefully he'll chime in. I have to replace both door seals which means removing the windows. I'm not looking forward to it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

removing the windows is remarkably easy. no real issues with it. its a total of 5 screws. 3 on the regulator and 2 to take out the window stoppers. while it is out you should take the outside roller thing and clean it and re lube with white lithium grease. couldnt hurt to clean it all and re lube it will make your windows work better/faster. then hopefully you wont have to replace your regulator :)

A lot of people say to use white lithium grease but in my experience, the stuff doesn't last and just turns to a yellow sludge rather quickly. Would a marine grease (waterproof) work better?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Lithium grease will yellow and harden after time, but most of the synthetic greases that I use at work tend to seperate and turn into oil after time sitting in my tool box.

I used to use the motorcycle chain lube in the spray can. I think it was also a lithium grease, but thinner than a lot of the lithium greases out there and seemed to stay good or years.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

i read that regular grease will break down the plastic quickly, dont know how true that is but i dont want to find out the hard way.
    chain lube?... never thought of that. its really thick