Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to do Hallett HST every month

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    ...and?

My car has 157k on the clock and is still going strong. Properly maintained, a Miata will last well over 200k if not more. Drive the car and quitcherbitchin!
    yep. I like to think if any car were made for race track floggings, its ours.

Sunny has 212K and I'd driver her just about anywhere. You won't hurt your Miata by driving it! I probably drive as hard as anyone on the track ( ), as far away as Indy, Cleveland, and Poconos for track events, and always driven home. Besides, there is always someone who would help you out if you got stranded.

As for towing weights, we towed two SM's with too many spares, tools, scales, alignment plates, four extra sets of tires, fuel, etc. to Hallett last July 4th in the motorhome, and weighed it in OKC and the trailer axles were right at 12,000 pounds.........OUCH! Before this rig, I could tow Speedie behind my V6 Dakota, as long as I didn't have to stop! SM 2200#, trailer 1600# with a set of tires and tool box, truck 3200# I only made short trips that way, longest to TWS.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    ...and?

My car has 157k on the clock and is still going strong. Properly maintained, a Miata will last well over 200k if not more. Drive the car and quitcherbitchin!
    in the next few months my car will have this in it

at that point i don't think it will make 200k with out a rebuild =/

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    yep. I like to think if any car were made for race track floggings, its ours.
    DUH!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    in the next few months my car will have this in it

at that point i don't think it will make 200k with out a rebuild =/
    Not necessarily ..
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinMiata.com
    Congratulations!
    Ed Avol just passed 300,000 miles on his FM II Miata. Granted, the first 30,000 were done before he put the turbo on.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Not necessarily ..
    wander what year, boost lvl and what motor mods he was running, site doesn't say

Your request is not that realistic. I have a 44 ft aluminum trailer and diesel truck to pull it and the pair (bought new) cost about $75,000. I spend a fair bit each year to maintain and insure them, and of course the depreciation on these two makes them worth probably under $25,000 after 5 years of use. You should be willing to do a bunch more than split gas cost. My buddies that I race with generally pay all gas and hotel in exchange for me toting car, spares, tires, tools, etc. That is a fair deal both ways.

With modern fuel costs, you should expect to pay $1.00-$1.50 per mile for transport to a track.

Adding it all up, is another reason I am a MSR member - convenience aside, it is cheaper than the expense and time towing up to Hallett once a month. I do love Hallett, but no way is it a primary track to practice and play on.

Oh, and have one really bad off at Hallett and you may have paid for a MSR membership.

FWIW, I just towed up there and back using a Colorado. 21 MPG! Diesel FTW!

Connie runs a good program. HST is a lot of track time for the money. Three days is worth the tow from Dallas. I've been running SM in COMA this year.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

No trailer or truck but am a willing companion for an event. Was all paid up for Miatas @ Hallett but ended up in Houston helping my folks after the flood instead. Connie said she would work something out with me for an HST which was super nice of her.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12