Thread: Anything wrong with Mobil1 75w90 for Transmission?

Tire Warmer

Default Anything wrong with Mobil1 75w90 for Transmission?

Just wondering, everyone talks about redline synthetic transmission oil, but does anyone have any info on Mobil1 gear oil? Any differences? I know that the bottle states that it exceeds API GL-5 Quaility, just like the redline, but I'd like to know some opinions. Thanx.

I run Mobil1 in my ‘92’s transmission as well as the rear end. It's easy to find it's cost effective and it's synthetic. Which was good enough for me!

But one of these days I would like to try the Redline just to see what all the hoopla is about.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I run Mobil1 in my ‘92’s transmission as well as the rear end. It's easy to find it's cost effective and it's synthetic. Which was good enough for me!
    Same here - been using it for about two years now. No problems yet!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yes, there is something wrong with it. The name Mobil1 isn't nearly as exotic as Redline, Royal Purple or Amsoil. Other than that I love the stuff. I use it in my tranny and rear and in my wifes car everywhere. I use Valvoline in the Miata crankcase as it has 108K miles, and I change it every 2-3K because I hate the lifter rattle.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

we use mobil 1 synthetic in the gearboxes of the spec cars, i also have it in my gearbox of my 96 as well does my boss in his 99 5speed. it shifts like butter in all of them. we use caterol plain gear iol in the rear end, i added some friction modifier for the limited slip and it is sticky and fun. i tird redline in my previious car ind it ate the seals. leaked and grinded like crazy, it was a 50/50 mix of atf and gear oil both redline, then i went to full atf and it was a little better, then i went with oreilys plain atf and it felt fine again.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Works great in the tranny, shift turret, & differential on my 92 B&T...

Make sure you change out the shift turret oil and possibly the inner and outer boots (if they are cracked) while you are at it.

Also, depending on the year you have... your differential might take a different fluid.

A great hint for you is to remove the filler bolts FIRST before draining the differential or transmission. The tranny one can be quite stubborn to remove. Use a wrench and NOT a socket on it since it is a square head and you don't want to round it off.

If you don't have a pump to put the oil in with you can get some tubing and snake it down through the gear shifter area into the tranny fill hole. That's a TCB way to do it.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Tire Warmer

Thanx for all the quick feed back everyone, I've made my decision to stick with the mobil1. Its going in my 00 LS transmission and diff, also Ill be doing, tune up, and changing rims. I bought the heliums and they look great, cant wait to test it out this weekend. peace and thanx again.