Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a '97 Miata is wanted

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    He was pulling your leg, there was no 98 year model miata.
    ...in North America. There was over seas. It's all marketing.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by saffikeagan View Post
    What should I think if the person says that the engine has just been rebuilt with all new parts. Is this a good thing, bad thing, or need more information/take a mechanic type thing?
    Is that what the man said about the one on AutoTrader? With only 60K miles? Hmmmm... I dunno. It takes talent to crater a Miata motor in only 60K miles - I'd be wary of other funny business (generally "rode hard and put up wet" - zero maintenance and/or care). Check it out very thoroughly, and you're probably okay...

Of course... what the hell do I know? I bought mine sight-unseen off eBay from some dude in backwoods Oklahoma... so far, so good!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

What should I think if the person says that the engine has just been rebuilt with all new parts. Is this a good thing, bad thing, or need more information/take a mechanic type thing?
    Does he have receipts? Do you see any new parts?

BTW, I prefer the black interiors myself. Tan does look good on certain colors though. It's just not for me.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

...and, BTW, I ended up with a '94 because I wanted a 1.8 car, and the one I got was within striking distance, so I could actually lay eyes on it before I drove it home. I found a lot of crap cars locally, so I ended up looking on fleaBay.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Engine Builder

He was pulling your leg, there was no 98 year model miata.
    The new model Miata was released in the Spring of 1998 in the US. Or so that's what I've read. There seem to be an aweful lot of 1998s for sale for a car that didn't exist

The add reads: I have a 1996 Mazda Miata for sale. It is black with black interior and black top. Engine was recently rebuilt with all new parts. Has a new top since the old one was faded. Car runs great and looks good. Has 5 speed manual transmission and a in-dash dvd player, and factory alloy wheels. E-mail me for pictures, or to come see it.

Not terribly detailed.

I've read that the 1.8 in the 94s were tweaked in 96 to give better gas mileage and performance. How much better (if any at all)?

The new model Miata was released in the Spring of 1998 in the US. Or so that's what I've read. There seem to be an aweful lot of 1998s for sale for a car that didn't exist
    That's because a lot of people really don't know what they've got.

The 2nd gen Miata (NB in Miata-speak) was released in the US in the spring of '98... as a 1999 model. There was not officially a '98 Miata in the United States, although the UK and Japan both got the NB as a '98 model. I believe Canada may have some '98 Miatas as well, since year model is tied to registration date in that country, iirc.

The add reads: I have a 1996 Mazda Miata for sale. It is black with black interior and black top. Engine was recently rebuilt with all new parts. Has a new top since the old one was faded. Car runs great and looks good. Has 5 speed manual transmission and a in-dash dvd player, and factory alloy wheels. E-mail me for pictures, or to come see it.

Not terribly detailed.

I've read that the 1.8 in the 94s were tweaked in 96 to give better gas mileage and performance. How much better (if any at all)?
    '96 got you OBDII instead of OBDI, a couple of extra horsepower and... not much else. I don't think the fuel mileage changed noticeably from '94-'95 to '96-'97, but I could be wrong.

The only thing that really jumps out to me from your ad is the in-dash DVD player. In my experience, the kind of people who install DVD players in 2-seat sports cars are riceboys. I would tend to avoid a car like that, since my next assumption would be questionable maintenance and/or a car that's been poorly modded and put back to stock. Maybe he blew the last motor practicing his drifting while watching Best Motoring videos on the DVD player?

I could be wrong, and maybe that's your thing, but there are enough older Miatas out there with clean histories that I'd probably keep right on looking.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Engine Builder

was released in the US in the spring of '98... as a 1999 model
    Got it! Thanks for the clarification on that and the rebuilt engine.

1998 models came with tilt steering.

Good luck finding your dream car.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    1998 models came with tilt steering.
    And a hatchback too!
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

Engine Builder

And that hatchback can fit my road bike with both tires still on.

Engine Builder

I think I've found one

"94 Red Miata Convertible, Red, 54K Miles, Sandard. Fun little car to breeze around town in. $4500.00" sounds too good to be true.

Take mine off of my hands.
    I could sure stand to loose the car payments!
    I could install popup headlights for you. uhh, maybe not.

Oh well, I have too much fun in it anyway.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Good stuff on buying a used Miata here -> http://www.miata.net/faq/faq2.html#A

Engine Builder

Under the FAQ on that site:

Is my Miata's computer Y2K ready?

Yes. Why, has it stopped running?

Snicker. There's some great information there. I'm going to go have a read. Thanks a lot.

Banned

Saffikeagan, unless they did the engine build themselves, you can get a report from the "said" shop. I believe they have to report some of this kinda stuff since CARFAX came about. Also, if you look at the valve cover bolts, they should be bright finish as compared to the cast finish, as replacements are sold through the dealer that way. Atleast that's what Town North claimed when I asked about difference. Mine is not rebuilt, but others have noted this and questioned when I replaced head.

I think I've found one

"94 Red Miata Convertible, Red, 54K Miles, Sandard. Fun little car to breeze around town in. $4500.00" sounds too good to be true.
    Sounds like a hell of a deal to me... check it out and let us know how you make out!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12