Thread: KYB shocks setting...

Default KYB shocks setting...

hey well i finished the RE-install of the kyb shocks and eblach springs now im clueless on the settings on the shocks iv read some stuff but i wana know what some of yall are runing on the track and on the road.. thanks again
    90 red miata

3 on the road isn't to bad; but it really doesn't matter where you have it. You'll still feel every bump in the road
    Blah blah blah!

PM Driftdevil, he is running the same setup.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I have found 1 notch stiffer in the front seems best. In California (better roads) and with Azenis 215s (stiff sidewall) I ran 4F/3R. When I moved to Texas, I found the roads to be a little worse and I backed down to 3F/2R. Then I changed to Azenis 615s and they seem to add more cushion than the old 215s, so I was able to go back to 4F/3R. When running on the track or autocrossing, I usually bump up to 6F/5R or 5F/4R, but I really haven't spent time testing different setting for performance like I have tested settings for comfort on the street. With all that said, It should be noted that i am running the old Flyin Miata springs which I believe are a little stiffer than what you have so YRMV.

4F/3R on the streets. Maybe a notch higher on the track.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I have found 1 notch stiffer in the front seems best. In California (better roads) and with Azenis 215s (stiff sidewall) I ran 4F/3R. When I moved to Texas, I found the roads to be a little worse and I backed down to 3F/2R. Then I changed to Azenis 615s and they seem to add more cushion than the old 215s, so I was able to go back to 4F/3R. When running on the track or autocrossing, I usually bump up to 6F/5R or 5F/4R, but I really haven't spent time testing different setting for performance like I have tested settings for comfort on the street. With all that said, It should be noted that i am running the old Flyin Miata springs which I believe are a little stiffer than what you have so YRMV.
    Good advice!
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Banned

Well mine go up to 24 different settings, but theory is still the same. Where on others there may be only one notch difference between front and rear, mine are four. But, stiffer in the front than rear. This helps with turn in as the rear end is allowed to rotate more easily. For street I am at (7-10)front-(10-14) rear. AutoX at 14-18 front- 10-14 rear depending on surface, at the track they are 18 front and 16 rear. Hope you have fun dialing them in, because the learning curve for adjustments will also help you become a better driver. When you know the reason your car acts a certain way, and can accomodate for it, you will become faster. Good luck.

mine are for a 99 with the 4 way adjustment but I run 3 in the front and 2 in the rear for everyday driving...its more funner that way
    99 Miata Black

I had mine at 4F 3R with Azenis 215. This was a bit jarring at times, but the ride was generally quite firm and predictable.

I recently changed to Hankook RS2s, which are considerably more soft feeling on the road. I'll likely up the numbers a bit while I still have the AGX on.

One method I've read about for adjusting these shocks seems pretty reasonable. Start with the shocks at or near full stiff. Decrease the stiffness notch by notch until it feels right to you. The roads you use might be better or worse than the ones some of us frequent.

Let us know what you decide...and why.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Another 4F 3R for me. This is with pre R-pack springs. Track is usually 7 6.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

hey thanks guys umm im going to go with 3F 2R cause where i live has some pretty crapy roads soo far i like it softer. This Sunday i get to try it out on the track but ill probably go with a 6F 5R or a 5F 4R and ill experiment with it. thanks again! hope to see u on sunday!
    90 red miata