Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 225's?

And da troof shall set you free...

Right. So, Toyo TR-1's have been my first inclination all along, but nobody seems to sell 'em locally (and I rather like the notion of buying from a place that'll rotate free). That's why I (mistakenly!) decided on the ES-100's (decision since retracted!) Will Discount or NTB special order the Toyos...?

Discount actually stocks BFG g-force Sport as well as the Kumho SPTs. I'm running the BFGs now (205's), but wet traction is nearing dangerous levels. Granted, they're worn (not sure how many miles on 'em, the Shinsen came with 'em back in March...). So, I'm looking for something with a bit better wet traction. Kumho's seem to have that, but are rated "better" at Discount while BFGs are "best". (Yeah, I know a lot of marketing BS, but they are the same price--actually BFGs have a rebate...)

That leaves me:

1.) Toyos (if available locally)
    2.) Kumhos (hoping they live up to wet traction promise...)
    3.) BFG g-force Sports (hoping I'm I'm not being too critical of them since they're worn...)

Thoughts?

Order the tires on line and take them to get mounted. I've done that several times.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Banned

I've owned ES-100 w/ my first Miata, and have campaigned the Kumho SPT's for a Novice 2nd place Regional Championship for SCCA and Equipe Rapide. The ES were all or nothing. They gripped O.K., but would just snap at the hint of a bird fart. The SPT's were good both dry and wet, for what they are. Not a bad tire for a not a bad price. The SPT's have 20 or so Autocrosses on them and could still get another 15,000 miles out of 'em. Have had to store them, since I now run Hoosier A6's. If price, is an issue, I have 4 SPTs for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    You don't recognize the troof?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Banned

TMFShinsen-
    Disregard PM, I just reviewed and saw you needed 16's. Don't have 'em, mine are 15's. Good luck with whatever you decided on.

Roger that. Thanks just the same.

Thought the 15's might be a tight fit!

TMF

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    TMFShinsen-
    Disregard PM, I just reviewed and saw you needed 16's. Don't have 'em, mine are 15's. Good luck with whatever you decided on.

Quote Originally Posted by TMFShinsen View Post
    Time for tires.

Currently running 205/45/16 on an '03 Shinsen Version (daily driver), wondering if 225's would fit?

Might rub on the front. 225's on rear, 215's on front?

Thinking about the Toyos--any other recommendations?

Here in Big D, I'm guessing I'm fairly safe running summer tires all year?

Is this(http://www.miata.net/garage/align.html --scroll down) the alignment to get?

Thanks,
    TMF
    I'm running 225 45 15's on all 4 corners, you can see the car wed. night at the plano meet.. I'll be there around 9ish
    -Brian
    '99 supercharge MX5, '92 SPEC MX5 (shared w/icepenguin66), '02 ZO6 track car, '99 Viper RT/10, '96 LT4 vette, '79 vette, '07 Jeep Commander HEMI (to pull everything!)

Quote Originally Posted by TMFShinsen View Post
    Well, nothing like stirring the pot, eh...?!

Right, so scratch ES-100's...

To be sure, this is my daily driver. In fact, just from looking at some of the pictures y'all post, I may be way out of my league here. Perfect example: as to what I want out of my tires--no clue. I don't even know what there is to be had. All I really know is that the BFGs on it (ZR rated, I believe) are coming due for replacement--and the back end's sliding around a fair amount.

Thought it best to replace with something other than an all-weather tire (!), but didn't know what. And, of course, I don't wanna spend a ton of money. And it might be a lot easier to buy somethings that a tire store stocks...

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    TMF
    I'll second the Kumho Ecsta SPT recommendation. I use these as daily driver tires on my RX-8. I also had a chance to datalog them last weekend when we used them as rain tires at a local autocross. My co-driver and I managed to generate in excess of 1.10 lateral Gs on these tires in the rain, on an otherwise stock RX-8.

They're cheap, they're sticky, they last well (mine currently have 10k on them and ought to go well over 20k), and they're comfortable and quiet for daily driving. What's not to like?

FWIW, I also owned a set of ES-100s. Hated 'em.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'll second the Kumho Ecsta SPT recommendation. I use these as daily driver tires on my RX-8. I also had a chance to datalog them last weekend when we used them as rain tires at a local autocross. My co-driver and I managed to generate in excess of 1.10 lateral Gs on these tires in the rain, on an otherwise stock RX-8.

They're cheap, they're sticky, they last well (mine currently have 10k on them and ought to go well over 20k), and they're comfortable and quiet for daily driving. What's not to like?

FWIW, I also owned a set of ES-100s. Hated 'em.
    Heh... You're "set" of ES-100s was a laugh riot... IIRC, you went through about 6 pairs trying to get them to all die at the same time back in your pizza delivery days... and cursed the gods every time you had to buy two more...

Glad to hear the SPTs are still good stuff. I'd like to take them for a spin someday in case I ever start racking up mileage on the 8 and need to buy tires!

Edit: Heh... the Google ads are pretty funny sometimes... There's an ad at the bottom for McLaren Nu-Air flat-proof skid steer tires... I think it mis-judged...
    Last edited by tailchaser; 06-20-2007 at 06:52 AM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Heh... You're "set" of ES-100s was a laugh riot... IIRC, you went through about 6 pairs trying to get them to all die at the same time back in your pizza delivery days... and cursed the gods every time you had to buy two more...
    Ain't that the truth. IIRC, I had two replaced for free within a short period of time due to unrepairable flats, and after that I could never wear a full set out at a time, nor justify throwing away perfectly good tires to the wife.

Thank God those days are over.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I've owned ES-100 w/ my first Miata, and have campaigned the Kumho SPT's for a Novice 2nd place Regional Championship for SCCA and Equipe Rapide. The ES were all or nothing. They gripped O.K., but would just snap at the hint of a bird fart. The SPT's were good both dry and wet, for what they are. Not a bad tire for a not a bad price. The SPT's have 20 or so Autocrosses on them and could still get another 15,000 miles out of 'em. Have had to store them, since I now run Hoosier A6's. If price, is an issue, I have 4 SPTs for free.
    If those SPT's are 14" sizes I'm interested, I'm really getting sick of the 500 treadwear all season tires that came on my car and want to try and autocross it in Estock tire.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    If those SPT's are 14" sizes I'm interested, I'm really getting sick of the 500 treadwear all season tires that came on my car and want to try and autocross it in Estock tire.
    I don't think Kumho makes a 14" SPT.

BTW, The SPT is a great all-rounder (and is my tire of choice for daily driving), but it is still inferior to the Azenis or Bridegestone RE-01R in dry grip.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Get the Hankook R-S2 or Falken RT-615. Competitively, those are the only choices for 14s except maybe the 225 Toyo T1-R but that's not proven and probably needs a wider wheel to make it worthwhile.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

i just got a set of the dunlop dz101 direzza. i think they are great. great in the wet and dry and grip tons better then the old es 100's i had before. and the are pretty cheap too.

I've got 225/40-16 Toyo T1-R's on 16x8 +38 RPF-1's. Lowered on Tein coilovers and RB sways front/rear. NO RUBBING. Fenders not rolled.

good-win claims that you can do 245/35-16 T1-R's on these wheels with no rubbing. I'm skeptical of that. I do plan on going to the 245's once the 225's wear out just to try it. But I also plan on rolling the fenders first :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12