Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm loosing my coil?

Question I think I'm loosing my coil?

The last few days my cars been acting funny on startup. It usually starts fine, but then it will start 4 cycling (hitting on every other compression stroke), but then clears up.

Today, on my way into work, on I-20 the car shut down, as if I had turned it off. I went from 70 to 50 mph, then it came back to life, and I drove on into work.

Does that sound like a coil going bad?

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

What about fuel filter? That is a complete guess but it sounds like it could be it also. Its probably cheaper to fix than the coil.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I guess it's not throwing any codes or CEL? If it's the coil it could kill your as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I guess it's not throwing any codes or CEL? If it's the coil it could kill your as well.
    He is running a LINK ECU, so no codes, but you might be able to get an idea what is happening with a datalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    What about fuel filter? That is a complete guess but it sounds like it could be it also. Its probably cheaper to fix than the coil.
    Well, assuming the two issues I've experianced are related, I'm leaning towards ignition. When The mis-firing is happening, I can smell un-burnt fuel.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

How about the Ignition Switch, they have been know to fail??

Default Cam Angle Sensor!!!!!!!!!!!

These symptoms sound familiar! About three months ago, My car started stuttering on startup (or not long after). The problem was always intermittent, and confusing. I, too thought it was the coil. Then, one time, I was driving down the highway, and the car shut off momentarily. Another time, it shut off long enough to strand me for a couple hours. The problem was the CAS. I also discovered that 1.6 and 1.8 NA cars have different Cam Angle Sensors, but they happen to be interchangeable. I currently run a CAS from a '92 1.6 on my '94 1.8, and the car runs predictably and reliably again.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    ....My car started stuttering on startup (or not long after). The problem was always intermittent, and confusing.....
    ...The problem was the CAS.
    I had pretty much the exact same problem. Issues at startup, etc. When mine really started cutting out, it was all I could do to keep the car running and make it the two blocks back to the house. Snagged a CAS from Gary and have been trouble free since.

Of course, it helped that I had the CEL code (and the forum, too!).

Thanks for all the input guys.

It's very interesting. I was real certain it was the coil. But ya'lls problems sound just like mine...hmmm

Maybe I've been having symptoms that I've been ignoring. For several weeks, I've been getting some backfires possible mis-fires, when accelerating hard, and/or reving hard. My plugs haven't been changed in a couple of years (I know I know), so I was thinking the plugs were just gaping out, thus the spark may have been blowing out. I've also noticed some power surges at about 3000 rpm that I hadn't felt in the past, or the car is being sluggish till 3000 rpm then kicking in, and running right.

I'm thinking that could be related to a bad CAS as well, don't you think.

TD

WTF, Hiley wants $648.00 for a CAS.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    Someone has to have a spare...if not go to Mazda Heaven.

Talking

Yeah... the guys forgot to mention that Mazda is really proud of their CAS.

Yeah . Did I mention that I got mine from one of Gary's parts cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    Yeah . Did I mention that I got mine from one of Gary's parts cars...
    Yes you did, I called Gary and he said he doesn't have one. I'm about to call Mazda Heaven. He did say he thought Jason may have a spare, but I don't know Jason, or have a number on him.\

Tonight, I'll undo all my connections and re-do them, and look for any possible shorts in the wires, to see if that helps, as a temporary fix, while I search for a CAS that doesn't cost what a used motor cost.

Mazda Heaven $85.00 I'll pick it up Saturday.

I'd like to get your dead one... I have another dead one here and would like to take 'em apart to see what failed and if it is possible to rebuild 'em.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I'd like to get your dead one... I have another dead one here and would like to take 'em apart to see what failed and if it is possible to rebuild 'em.

RJ
    Sure, once I've replaced and verify the issue is fixed, it's yours. However, if the issue isn't fixed, then I may hold on to it for a while.

Unhappy New (used) CAS in-place and it's acted up twice since

OK, since I've installed my new-2-me CAS, I've had the same issue. So now I'm thinking Coil(s). It's done it once at idle, and again sounded like it was hitting on 2 cylinders, along with a very rich smell. It's also acted up twice on the hwy, by shutting down for a few moments, then springing back to life.

I've found no loose connections, and I'm unable to reproduce this problem on demand, although I've tried by moving wires and shaking things up un-hood while idling.

BTW, there's nothing to the CAS, I see no reason they charge over $600 at the Stealership.

TD

Unhappy Update

I replaced the coil/igniter and it went a couple of days. I thought I had it fixed, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it's back to doing it again.

So, CAS replaced, Igniter/coils replaced, new plugs, new wires, whats next? What is the ignition switch deal you guys mentioned? There never seems to be anything that happens prior to the spark failure. What else could it be?
    Last edited by TurboDuane; 07-14-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: more info.

Hmmm...

CAS, Injector harness, ECU, Coil, Ground points on the motor & firewall, bad plugs, or bad wires could all cause the issue.

I don't recall the ignition switch causing problems with just two cylinders.

Check the wiring harness going to the coil pack and the injectors. Maybe it got pinched the last time you had the valve cover off.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast