Thread: Got another dyno run in...

Default Got another dyno run in...

This is with the new head, new transmission, the Kosei wheels (7lbs lighter than stock, each), 9lb flywheel, Comptech Icebox (intake), Comptech Shorty Header, and Comptech Exhaust.

I guessed that I was somewhere around 195whp with the mods, I was 2 shy of that figure (1 if you round up, lol). I still need more mid-range torque though, my VTEC engagement is very noticeable now. Time for K-Pro, lol.

In some conversations with some of the RSX guys, it seems that I could probably do a valve adjustment and get them a little looser. This new head has never felt the same as the old one did, and I know I'm losing hp because of it.

'02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Don't forget to mention that it sounds pretty kick ass now too

I was going to get a video of it, but I figured you guys have heard enough of my car
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Nice, looks like I might have to make my way to Alamo to see what I get.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

What's the stock numbers?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    This new head has never felt the same as the old one did,
    Thats what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Thats what she said.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    What's the stock numbers?
    183hp/128tq
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

So how much did it cost you to pick up 10whp?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

$200 for the header, $600 for the exhaust, and $100 for the intake. $900 total, and I haven't even started on the major power adders. Adding a test pipe and a better intake manifold (my next 2 hp mods) will add 10-15hp, the IM adds 7-10 (dyno proven) on its own. Then it's on to K-PRO, where all the mods will be worthwhile after a good tune.

Here's a break down of what I've done and why. Note that I went the expensive route for not much HP (Comptech parts are covered under the factory warranty, and that comes at a price), and I could have easily gained a lot more power with different choices in mods.

For the header, I'll end up spending around $400 for the test-pipe and the header I already bought. I would pick up ~5 more hp if I went with a race header over the TP/header combo, and the cost for the cheaper race headers is ~$500.

For the intake, I could have bought a CAI and picked up another 3-5hp over what I got. Box intakes have better mid-range and throttle response, but they lack in top-end hp.

The exhaust doesn't add much to the 05-06 RSX's because the stock piping is already bigger than the earlier years. I did get the biggest piping available for NA though.

My mods are not for peak HP, I am not building a dyno queen, and I also need to retain my warranty I also would rather run in STX than SM when I get around to autocrossing, so I am not going to a race header (if I lose the cat, bump to SM); it is much easier to swap in my cat for an autocross than it would be to change a race header back to the stock header. The intake I've already covered.

There is one other thing that I will look into doing. This new head is nowhere near as strong as my old one was. I could feel the difference as soon as I got it broken in. It burns less oil, and doesn't breathe nearly as well in the upper rev ranges. Also, take a look at my VTEC engagements on the dyno chart I posted. The new head has a horrible engagement, it's like the old Honda's and the new SI's (very noticeable while driving). The VTEC engagement in a RSX is not meant to be that noticeable, it's supposed to be less of a spike like in my first dyno run.

It was recommended that I check my valve lash, as it may be too tight. It makes sense, my old head burned more oil and breathed better, so it was probably a little on the loose side. I'm going to check the lash and adjust it accordingly. I also need to research if one side should be tighter than the other, or if they should be equal. I might pick up a bit more hp just from doing that. Of course, that will all be peak hp though, and it's theoretical, but makes sense.

All this talk about tight and loose... I'm just going to jump in here before any smart asses can chime in I don't like my car's head like my womens...
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    So how much did it cost you to pick up 10whp?
    And it was 11hp ::BLee::
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Cool, more power and under warranty. Good luck with the car.