Thread: Cleaning out the smell

Default Cleaning out the smell

So my cat got into my car a while back and I've been trying to no avail to get the smell out. I've pulled the seats out and have determined that the smell is coming from under the passenger seat. I've tried using a 1/1 mixture of white vinegar and water, a product called "Nature's Miracle" from Pet Smart, and I'm about to try a 1/1 mixture of cheap vodka and water.

Does anybody have any other remedies? Besides killing my cat?

Lee S

Bacon

You're drinking vodka so you can't smell?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    So my cat got into my car a while back and I've been trying to no avail to get the smell out. I've pulled the seats out and have determined that the smell is coming from under the passenger seat. I've tried using a 1/1 mixture of white vinegar and water, a product called "Nature's Miracle" from Pet Smart, and I'm about to try a 1/1 mixture of cheap vodka and water.

Does anybody have any other remedies? Besides killing my cat?

Lee S

Bacon
    New carpet?

Nature's Miracle should work... They also make Nature's Miracle for Cats that has enzymes more specifically targeted at processing cat urine and the byproducts... If the cat in question was male or has kidney problems, just burn the car.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Get a dog that can eat your cat.....

But seriously

How to clean cat poop out of furniture upholstery

Not that any cat would do such a thing, but if you get cat poop on your upholstery, here's a reliable way to remove it:

1 - The obvious step, pick up and remove the big pieces as you are able to. You may want to consider wearing some cleaning gloves for this.

2 - Blot, but DO NOT RUB, the stain with some damp paper towels. Just push the towels onto the stain to get the stain slightly damp.

3 - Sponge on an enzyme-based pet odor eliminator. I use Outright Pet Odor Eliminator. This has a bacteria which actually breaks down the material left by your cat.

4 - Cover the area with a plastic bag or sheet to keep it damp.

5 - After a couple of hours, your stain should be gone. Blot with some more damp paper towel. If there is still some residual stain at this point, try use a carpet stain cleaner to remove the last little bits.
    Blah blah blah!

Powders> 80% of the urine is in the pad and sub floor, totally out of reach of absorbent powder.

Odorcides, disinfectants> Kills the bacteria; leaves the urine. Food source remains: New bacteria will arrive, and the odor returns.
    Vinegar> Never start with vinegar. Vinegar sets stains (like you set the dyes in Easter eggs.) Totally ineffective for odor.
    Oxy products> OK for some stains (feces and vomit.) Zero benefit for odor.
    Ammonia solution> Done properly, fine for urine stain; not odor. Followed by vinegar solution to neutralize.
    Citrus scents> Obviously simple short term relief.
    Shampoo/Wet Vac> Urine is under the carpet. Wetting the carpet and pad spreads it out; odor worsens.
    Blah blah blah!

I guess i "set" the smell by using vinegar.

Sucks.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sunshine and fresh air go a long way in helping this kind of odor.

Just drive around without a passenger seat like I've been doing for the last 5 weeks. This way your car can ventilate and get plenty of sun and you drop 38 pounds from the car.

Well, since it does smell, Jennifer won't ride with me. So I guess if I left out the seat she wouldn't mind!

Default meow

you could put kitty litter in the floorboards for, ah, "future use"
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Chem-dry has a special chemical called P.U.R.T. (i.e. Pet Urine removal treatment) that worked fairly well when I used to work for them in the 1990's. You might go see if you can find Cobb carpet cleaning supply in Dallas.

This is wheremost of the carpet cleaning people get their stuff from.

If I remember correctly, they are off of Mockingbird just West of 35, but it's been nearly 18 years since I have gone there.

Linkie#2:
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 07-12-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Post another link for pet urine removal.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Wait! Here's a thought! Ask Titus how he got the smell out of his keys...
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

But seriously, folks...

I've had good luck pulling the carpet and taking it to the car wash to spray it down. Just let it dry thoroughly in the sun before you put it back in. Anything else will be more of a "surface" clean. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but that will clean just about anything out of the carpet.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Wait! Here's a thought! Ask Titus how he got the smell out of his keys...
    Did he have to use a metal detector to find them?

"Excuse 'mam, while I cram this up in there..."

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    "Excuse 'mam, while I cram this up in there..."
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Did he have to use a metal detector to find them?
    Funny... that's not how I remember you telling the story...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Funny... that's not how I remember you telling the story...
    You're right... there was a Howitzer, a pry bar, and the English soccer league involved too.