View Poll Results: Do you have a WiFi Adapter?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have one and use it

5 71.43%
  • I have one and it is junk

0 0%
  • I don't have one, but my brother-in-law's neighbor likes his

2 28.57%

Thread: WiFi Adapter?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Default WiFi Adapter?

ATT just suggested I get a WiFi Adapter to extend the range of my connection. Apparently, it works on the house wiring. You plug one unit into your modem and an AC outlet, then you plug the other unit into an AC outlet in whatever room you want to use your wireless. The tech said they are $130.

Votes and comments are appreciated.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Why do ya need it Sparky??

WiFi not reaching far enough in the Palatial Onething Estate??

What are you currently running for the WiFi??

Oh you are reffering to a power line adapter like this one. Then this would connect to an AP. These work by using yor home power wiring like an ethernet cable. The issue becomes line noise and cosequently speed. For example the afore mentioned one is rated for 14 Mbps max. A slow wireless G connnection is still usually good for 48 Mpbs. This might not effect web surfing that much but file transfers (ie streaming music/video) and over the network backups will most likely be slow and chopy.

*Edit* I just noticed Netgear makes some rated for 85 Mbps. It's about $150 and still requires a seperate AP for wireless capability.

It would be simpler to get an AP and set it us as a repeater so all it does is boost the signal and resends it.

Just my 2c but what do I know.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What ATT device do you have now? I have the 2Wire 2701 with wireless in it. I get a strong wireless signal all over the house.

I've got a Linksys WRT54 wireless router (about $70) and a laptop with built-in wireless. A good wireless card for your PC runs about $50 or so. I'd rather have that kind of setup than the AT&T unit. They sent me one a while back when I first got DSL, and it looked like a big piece of junk (for $120), so I sent it back - and had hell getting my money back too!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Oh you are reffering to a power line adapter like this one. Then this would connect to an AP. These work by using yor home power wiring like an ethernet cable. The issue becomes line noise and cosequently speed. For example the afore mentioned one is rated for 14 Mbps max. A slow wireless G connnection is still usually good for 48 Mpbs. This might not effect web surfing that much but file transfers (ie streaming music/video) and over the network backups will most likely be slow and chopy.

*Edit* I just noticed Netgear makes some rated for 85 Mbps. It's about $150 and still requires a seperate AP for wireless capability.

It would be simpler to get an AP and set it us as a repeater so all it does is boost the signal and resends it.

Just my 2c but what do I know.
    +1 - best solution for extending the wireless network with lest amount of cost and cabling.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

OK - I am sending this from my shop. I am connected to just my 2WIRE modem and have 4 bars on a 5 bar scale.

With the Linksys I was using before, I couldn't make it to the den with a useable signal.

I don't need the adapter

Thanks for all your questions and the 1 testimonial.

Your work is done. Move along - go back to your houses. There is nothing else to see. . .

and thanks again.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Welcome, glad we could help
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP