Thread: Timing Belt

Default Timing Belt

When replacing the TB, what else do you r&r while you're in there? Recommend changing the idler roller and tensioner, Or just the spring?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

New water pump.

I believe there are whole kits out there that come with the belt, water pump, CAS, and so on. You should look at those.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    When replacing the TB, what else do you r&r while you're in there? Recommend changing the idler roller and tensioner, Or just the spring?
    I defiantly do all of above, plus water pump, oring to water outlet on head (or block I forgot which) keyway. Not totally necessary but, valve cover gasket, upper and front lower hoses, front main seal new, rubber gaskets for the TB cover. And a few that I cannot remember.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

what they said.

Nothing would suck worse then going through the hassle of changing the timing belt only to have to do it again in 6 months when the water pump decides to give up.

If you have not done it yet, find and read the instrucitons for changing the timing belt and you will see why we say to do everything else when you are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I believe there are whole kits out there that come with the belt, water pump, CAS, and so on. You should look at those.
    The PO told me the water pump went out on him and he'd replaced it. But he didn't replace the belt! (since it still looked new and all)
    So I'm debating whether or not to do the whole package and replace a fairly new pump, or everything but the pump.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'd do it all if it were my car and I was planning on keeping it for awhile, especially since the history is cloudy.

The PO told me the water pump went out on him and he'd replaced it. But he didn't replace the belt! (since it still looked new and all)
    So I'm debating whether or not to do the whole package and replace a fairly new pump, or everything but the pump.
    I would rather have someone replace the water pump and not the belt then make the stupid choice I made last time of replacing the belt without the waterpump. A broken timing belt is just a tow. A broken water pump can be much worse. I didn't really understand that back then. I will be doing both this winter.

I think there is also an article on Miata.net Garage about all of the things you should replace.

Yeah, I don't want to get caught being "penny wise, pound foolish". Speaking of, I still can't believe he didn't replace the TB!

Banned

Once a belt has been run for 5 minutes, IT IS USED....

www.carpart.com

Good cheap stuff.

Blackroadster put this together and it's a pretty good checklist for a TB R&R... I can say that when I did mine (had it done), I took care of all the internal stuff and checked the other easy-to-get-to stuff myself. I had already done the CAS o-ring and heater hoses, and the remaining belts & hoses looked fresh, so we didn't mess with them. Same goes for plugs and wires, etc... at least with this list, you shouldn't overlook anything. Also, one of my TB idler pulleys was fouled up, so I replaced both of them. I don't remember how much they were, but it was pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme.

The timing belt is pretty involved. Lots of labor is involved in it’s replacement. I’d recommend having a few things replaced in the process.

This list is extensive but most of it is right there when you have to disassemble everything anyway to do the timing belt. It’s preventive maintenance. I’d rather replace these common failure parts now instead of having to replace them later and pay for all the labor all over again. Prices are for parts only and subject to change. Most prices come from http://www.trussvillemazda.com, which has the best prices I’ve seen for Genuine Mazda parts. Labor could range from $300-$500. Best to do it at a tech day for the price of some Pizza and Beer.

60k Service
    Timing belt*
    Tensioner spring*
    Front Crank and Cam Seals*
    Valve Cover Gasket* - *Included in TB Kit $67.68
    Water pump - $62.34
    Radiator coolant hoses (3) - $25.74
    Thermostat - $9.95
    Thermostat Gasket - $1.00 est.
    Bypass Hose - $6.00 est.
    Radiator Cap - $11.46
    CAS (Cam Angle Sensor) O-Ring - $1.00 est.
    New Alternator and A/C-PS Belts - $25.00 est.
    Engine Coolant and Flush - ?
    Oil and Filter change - $25 est.
    Spark Plugs - $5.28
    Spark Plug Wires - $27.54
    Fuel Filter - $26.34
    Air Filter - $10.50
    PCV Valve - $11.40

Mazda also recommends changing the manual transmission and rear differential gear oil.
    Redline Synthetic (3 qts.) $24.00
    Last edited by trickyrix; 07-27-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

But he didn't replace the belt! (since it still looked new and all)
    The Timing belt always looks new, until it breaks!

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Blackroadster put this together and it's a pretty good checklist for a TB R&R...
    I put that list together several years ago so the prices are probably not accurate.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I put that list together several years ago so the prices are probably not accurate.
    It's still pretty close... at least given the prices I paid for parts...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds