Thread: State Inspection, Fuel Cap and Check Engine Light

Angry State Inspection, Fuel Cap and Check Engine Light

I've lived in Texas about 24 years and never had a car fail inspection, until last week. The stupid gas cap failed whatever test they do. I didn't even know there was a gas cap test! The guy's nice about it and all, tells me to go to Autozone and get a new cap. I get the new cap, return to complete the inspection, it passes, and I drive home with a new inspection sticker. At least it didn't cost a lot of money.

Two days later, I notice the check engine light is on. I'm like WTF (What's That For? - in case you were thinking something more profane)? So I check miata.net to figure out how to read the CEL codes (I'm new at this), and I run across this

http://www.miata.net/garage/egr.html#cap

"If you do not tighten your gas cap sufficiently, the Check Engine light may come on...."

The gas cap is tight, but this new one has a button on the top. I guess it's to relieve pressure - push down and it vents. And the fuel door cover pushes down on the button when it is closed.

So that seems to be the problem: cover pushes button, button vents pressure, CEL genie thinks gas cap is not tight, CEL turns on.

I don't want to drill a hole in the cover for the button to fit through. Do I cut off the button (it's plastic), should I just get a new OEM gas cap? Anyone got a spare?
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If the old one wasn't throwing codes, put it back on. Save the new one for inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    If the old one wasn't throwing codes, put it back on. Save the new one for inspections.
    +1 Definetly the TCB way to go.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Blah blah blah!

My 1991 Ford Ranger failed inspection solely for the gas cap, but KwikLube sold me a new one on the spot which passed the truck. After inspecting my old combination lock gas cap I notice that the rubber seal was cracked from age and I replaced it with the seal from the new gas cap.

I was surprised when I had the Miata inspected a couple of weeks ago at the very same KwikLube that they did not test the gas cap at all.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Is that what they use that, ahem, "suction pump" for? I always thought it was for staff amusement after hours...

*sigh* Gone are the good old daze of carry-out stickers and such... oh well.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

As was mentioned above, I'd save the new cap for inspections only...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Hard to believe a 2003 gas cap failed. Did you inspect it / retighten it? I'm thinking it might have been loose.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Hard to believe a 2003 gas cap failed. Did you inspect it / retighten it? I'm thinking it might have been loose.
    Not sure if they do the gas cap test differently on the ODBII cars, for my car car they screw the cap in to a pressure test hose hooked to the computer, hit a button, and the system tests it and instantly records the results on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    It's long gone. Why would I keep a gas cap that doesn't pass inspection?
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    As Titus mentioned above, they attach it to a pressure hose, push a button and pass/fail. I watched him try more than once to make it work.
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    It's long gone. Why would I keep a gas cap that doesn't pass inspection?
    Well, seeing as how the new one could possibly be throwing the code and you wouldn't need it again until next inspection, it would only make sense to put it back on the car until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Well, seeing as how the new one could possibly be throwing the code and you wouldn't need it again until next inspection, it would only make sense to put it back on the car until next year.
    Sure, that's what I would do now. But back then, I didn't see any reason to keep a defective gas cap.
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -

Sure, that's what I would do now. But back then, I didn't see any reason to keep a defective gas cap.
    Well now I think we all learned something today.

Did you order an OEM one yet?

Talking

Back then? That was last week!

Meh... no matter, just get an OEM one and don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    *sigh* Gone are the good old daze of carry-out stickers and such... oh well.
    Carry out still exists it's just knowin where to go and when.......If ur car is Pre-OBD
    1991 Mazda Miata....Bone Stock!
    2004 Ford Ranger....Small Cosmetic Updates