Thread: Miata World II?

Default Miata World II?

Check out this post on the Pointy Board.

I wonder if Lone Star is putting this one on. If so, I'd be interested in helping out. Miata World 99 was my first big Miata event and it was well run and a good time. The good days of LSMC.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Yep I think Lone Star is running the point on this event.

But 2009 that's so far away!

I can't imagine that happening, since no only two eople in the club do anything other than sit on their butts. I imagine this is Brian again
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Not sure why they haven't stopped by our board to fill us in or see if any of are interested in helping, but they have posted some pretty interesting comments on the pointy board:

Quote Originally Posted by billccsi
    The weekend was dictated by the availability of all the venues we needed. With an event of this magnitude, finding a weekend that all were available was a challenge, particularly with less than two years' notice. The '99 event was in planning much longer.
    I guarantee everyone will love the resort that will be the host hotel, as well as the world class track venues that are lined up.
    The plural track venues is pretty exiting.

Now this piqued my interest... what's Miata World?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Don't worry about it... I'm pretty sure you have a RC Plane event that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Don't worry about it... I'm pretty sure you have a RC Plane event that weekend.
    Now that you mention it...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Another car-related event you can not show up to...
    '96 M-edition

Cool I was at the MW99 and almost won that 10AE

Chassis Designer

OK guys.. just so you'll be up to speed..

The MX-5/MiataWorld II will be held Labor Day weekend in 2009 at the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, Thursday evening through Monday noon.

There will be a car, most likely a one-of a-kind version of the 20th anniverssary edition.

There will be banquets, parties, bands, parties, vendors, parties, surprises, and parties.

We are planning for 1,500+ attendees.

There will be autocross at TMS (pending contract for venue)

There will be a road couse event TMS (pending contract for venue)

There be something sponsored by Mazda Mortorsports. Lot's of rumors, nothing confirmed, but think big time event with Speed Vision or ESPN coverage. Maybe at Eagle Canyons, or the new place near Terrell.

It won't be cheap, but it WILL be the Mother of all Miata events. The cost of this event is going to exceed $400,000.

I am meeting with MNAO on the 14th to finalize the finances, and their part of the event.

In January, we will begin planning in earnest. There will be an opportunity for clubs to producs and run an event of their own design. I will be in touch with you all to get together early in 2008 to start this process. Until then, there won't be much new.

A web site will be constructed in the 1st quarter. Event registration will open in Spring of '08, and will be limited. You will not be required to stay at the hotel to participate, but parking for non-guests will be paid by the attendee.

We would love for MME to participate as much as you want.

Bill Preston
    Chairman
    MX-5/MiataWorld II

ForSale

Wow, that's a lot of
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by billccsi View Post
    We would love for MME to participate as much as you want.
    I guess the biggest question for this group of Cheap Bastards (TM) is "How much does it cost for the club groups to participate?"

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

We are planning for 1,500+ attendees.
    Just curious. How many folks attended MW99?

There will be autocross at TMS (pending contract for venue)

There will be a road couse event TMS (pending contract for venue)

There be something sponsored by Mazda Mortorsports. Lot's of rumors, nothing confirmed, but think big time event with Speed Vision or ESPN coverage. Maybe at Eagle Canyons, or the new place near Terrell.
    All good stuff.

It won't be cheap, but it WILL be the Mother of all Miata events. The cost of this event is going to exceed $400,000.
    Way too expensive. That's a lot of money for any event. I'm thinking no more than $300 and that's pushing it. Does it include all the track time or is that extra? Maybe you need to elaborate on what the $400 gets you.

You will not be required to stay at the hotel to participate, but parking for non-guests will be paid by the attendee.
    That's good to know but I think all attendees should get a free parking pass for the events at the hotel.

I'm not trying to disparage all your work. I think it's great you are doing this and I loved the last event. I'd really like to attend but getting 1500 people to commit to a $400 admission price plus hotel and travel expenses. Wow! If it were any place but local, I wouldn't even consider it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Psst... that was $400,000, not $400.00. I believe he is talking about the entire cost of the event, not the per person cost. I assume a big chunk of the cost would be covered by sponsors, with Mazda taking the brunt of it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Just curious. How many folks attended MW99?
    From the thread you linked to on Miata.net:

For those who did not attend or may not heard of MW '99, it was (and still is) the largest gathering of Miatas in North America ever with almost 500 cars and close to 1000 people. We expect to exceed this by at least 50% in 2009.