Thread: Quitting smoking

Default Quitting smoking

Are there any reformed smokers on here?

I'm really, really getting tired of smoking. I'm 31 years old, and I've smoked for more than half of my life. I've tried quitting before, but I always seem to get drawn back in, whether it's 2 weeks or 2 months later. I tried hypnotism once, and obviously that didn't work. I've tried the cold turkey method, and that doesn't seem to do the trick either.

This time I'd really like to quit for good. Heck, if I could quit, monetarily it would be like getting a free set and a half of race tires every year. Truthfully though, I'm tired of my car and my clothes smelling like an ashtray. I'm tired of spending money on something that will likely contribute to my death someday. I'm tired of being an addict, to put it bluntly.

If you've quit, how did you do it? What worked for you, and what recommendations can you make to someone who wants to quit, but seems to be a little short on willpower?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Everyone I know that quit (mom, stepdad, grandma, etc...) has quit because the doc said "Quit or your dead within a year"

Everyone else is still smoking. It's a bitch to quit.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I quit after my grandmother lost her battle to cancer in 1997. It pretty much stopped me cold turkey...

However....

Every now and then, more then than now, I'll have a smoke just to enjoy one...

Otherwise I haven't smoked since then... and I started in high school/college.

It's a tough road... but I believe once you've set your mind to it, you'll be able to overcome it. You may have a few cranky days (yes, even you! ) but you'll feel a difference after a week or so...

Good luck!

I smoked 3 packs a day for 20 years. I quit cold turkey about a dozen years ago. I don't know the date or the year I quit. I just did.

It's obvious you have the desire, the motive, and the means. But you apparently don't have the MEMORY.

Quite simply...... I don't smoke. I'm not a "reformed smoker" or a recovering nicoholic. I'm a non-smoker. It takes a question like yours to remind me that I once had a problem.

You'll have nicotine fits for the rest of your life. Their frequency will wane over time, but you'll always have that little trigger in the back of your brain that says "NOW". You need to turn those feelings around and make them remind you of how good it is to smell like a human instead of a burning bush.

This might seem somewhat simplistic, but you need to accept that you're a non-smoker. Don't think of yourself as one who is trying to quit, an EX-smoker, or one who is trying to stay off nicotine.

Don't dream it. Be it. (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

I smoked for about 10 years, and tried quitting several times. Each time I was a little bit more motivated. The real key to my success was to quit drinking at the same time. Every time I would go out after work for a drink I would find a cigarette in my hand. I didn't drink for about 6 months after quitting smoking, and I haven't had a smoke in 5 years now. It takes a lot of will power no matter what method you try.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I was a smoker for around 15 years. Usually a pack a day. I quit almost 10 years ago via hypnosis.

I tried several times to go cold turkey and didn't have the will power. With the price of smokes today, the money savings alone should be some motivation! I still get cravings every once in awhile. Usually when drinking heavily!

I was up to 3 packs a day and went the zyban route to assist me in kicking the habit.

It ain't easy but I have been smoke free for almost 4 years.

My parents both quit cold turkey when cigarettes went up to $ .35 a pack and they decided it was too expensive.

How much does a pack cost now, anyway? Multiply that by packs a year (250 -300?) and a true CB would never consider it.

Wow, not that it help Iain out any, but I am glad my parents both smoked so I got to see the effects of it, or I was just too big of a nerd in high school to start. Now I just have to get the parents to quit.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

7 days flat on his back in hospital did it for my Dad. Mom died of lung cancer.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

Altian,if you want you can visit me at the hospital in the research ward or as we like to call it " the FREAK SHOW" I can show you what a lung looks like up close that has been diseased by smoking for 10 years 3 packs a day and that tends to make a lot of people stop cold turkey ori can take you down to the o2 ward if thatdon't do it nothing will ( a bunch of 60-80 year old living life sucking out ofa tube and that's on a good day.

let me know

rory