Thread: Looking to build something

Default Looking to build something

I've always thought it would be cool to build up a car with my son, who's 16. However, I need to keep it on a budget, and it needs to be a project he really gets into for multiple reasons: pride, respect of vehicle, and to learn mechanical techniques.

So, we've looked at old school camaro's, Firebirds, Barracudas, and late model Supra's. However, the old school cars take a lot more commitment than I'm prepared to do; both money, and work.

Thus, I mentioned building a monster Miata. At first he didn't want to, with the Miata being a girls car and all. Then he bounced it off of his friends and wola. He's all for it now. Go figure. So, I'm now seeking a good candidate to start with. Keep me in mind if you come across a non-running Miata, or one with a blown tranny. I'm hoping to find one for around $1500.

Let the fun begin.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/417552099.html

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    I've always thought it would be cool to build up a car with my son, who's 16. However, I need to keep it on a budget, and it needs to be a project he really gets into for multiple reasons: pride, respect of vehicle, and to learn mechanical techniques.

So, we've looked at old school camaro's, Firebirds, Barracudas, and late model Supra's. However, the old school cars take a lot more commitment than I'm prepared to do; both money, and work.

Thus, I mentioned building a monster Miata. At first he didn't want to, with the Miata being a girls car and all. Then he bounced it off of his friends and wola. He's all for it now. Go figure. So, I'm now seeking a good candidate to start with. Keep me in mind if you come across a non-running Miata, or one with a blown tranny. I'm hoping to find one for around $1500.

Let the fun begin.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    That's too high for a parts car. $600 for the car, and no more than $800 for the hard top.

Na, I'm looking for a car with a solid frame (read not-wreaked). I'm thinking it will need as much body integrity as I can get. With the extra torque the LSx will be putting out, the cars going to want to twist with a solid body.

Also, I don't want to do a lot of body-work, in addition to the drive train swap. I think I'll have my hands full with that.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

A few years ago I wanted to do a v8 swap also. I went and bought red, for the sole use as a test/installation mule. I could hack up, drill, weld and what ever else needed to be done without messing up a good clean car. I still have red, just waiting for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...