Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miatas at Hallet

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Friday tech is at the hotel, not the track.
    ooops.

See you guys at tech. I don't feel like the miata is ready, so I'm taking the honda and meeting my dad in OKC. His car will get to do double duty. See ya'll tomorrow.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    See you guys at tech. I don't feel like the miata is ready, so I'm taking the honda and meeting my dad in OKC. His car will get to do double duty. See ya'll tomorrow.

See you there Chris.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

See you all at Tech at the H.I. I'm sleeping in for once...
    '96 M-edition

sorry to break your screen with ugly red, silver, and yellow cars. I don't have any beautiful green car pictures.

I had a blast!!!! Dad's car held up great and never saw greater than 104 for temp. on the keypad! Enjoyed hangin out and seeing you guys!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Is everyone coming home in one piece?

Good to see everybody and meet some new people. I think all of the DFW crowd came back without any problems.

The track was a lot of fun and very challenging!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Everybody made it back okay in the trackdog group. I've been home about an hour.
    My gasket, after the cat, fell out completely. Every time I go to the track I have to replace that gasket afterwards. Metal gaskets won't seal and make your own gaskets don't hold together.........what other options do I have?
    Due to the awesome leak/gap, the car sounds like a deeper/raspier version of a spec mixed with a little bit of subaru boxer engine. Unfortunately, I had to hear it for 300 or so miles at 70-80mph!

As far as casualties go............I'll let Craig tell his busted radiator story.

I'm happy to say that I was nearly 3 seconds faster than last year.

Talking Hallet

Good times, good times!

Great track, great people, great trip!

Will be there next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Everybody made it back okay in the trackdog group. I've been home about an hour.
    My gasket, after the cat, fell out completely. Every time I go to the track I have to replace that gasket afterwards. Metal gaskets won't seal and make your own gaskets don't hold together.........what other options do I have?
    Due to the awesome leak/gap, the car sounds like a deeper/raspier version of a spec mixed with a little bit of subaru boxer engine. Unfortunately, I had to hear it for 300 or so miles at 70-80mph!

As far as casualties go............I'll let Craig tell his busted radiator story.

I'm happy to say that I was nearly 3 seconds faster than last year.
    begi sent me some strange looking compression gaskets for turbo->dp, maybe email stephanie. I'd flush the flanges first, maybe weld in a flex section too.

I was floored in the 3rd session when I was sandwiched between 2 SM's. I ran 8 laps with them, 5 between .3 or my personal best. I pointed the red SM and he waved back so I just kept driving angry...and was floored when the white SM pointed me.

I'm seriously going to miss Hallett.

It was nice to hang out with the group. Everyone from dallas is pretty entertaining, and its nice to put some faces with screen-names.

So when is TDR@MSR next year?
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 09-23-2007 at 04:26 PM.

I had an absolute blast and I really pushed myself more than the last Hallett and the TDR event. I was passing several people in the Intermediate 2 group including a supercharged NB.

The last session I felt much more consistant, smoother and faster than I have ever been before. I think my "cautious" track days are over and my confidence is back. I'm really looking forward to expanding my driving abilities now.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I don't have any beautiful green car pictures.
    Neither do I.......I did see this green heap, though.

Neither do I.......I did see this green heap, though.
    those wheels are so ugly.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 09-23-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Since this year would make track day #2 for me (ever) I registered again in Novice. Mike P. agreed to give me some instruction, help me work on lines, etc. Unlike last year, the novice group this year had a ton of people out for Sunday drive. You know, cruising the long straights at 60, signaling for turn 2, stuff like that. Mike and I were working our way through traffic and had just passed a guy for the second time in like 5 laps.

He said " you really need to move up to one of the intermediate classes". In reponse, my car said "Pfft...POP!" and splattered the windshield with coolant. Yes, the 12 year old plastic radiator finally gave up the ghost. We coasted into the pits and surveyed the carnage.

I asked around and found that Ren Tucker, Spec Miata driver and chief instructor for the event, had a spare in his truck. We installed that and got back on the track for an afternoon session - in the intermediate group.

The car ran great, I never needed to point anyone by and passed a couple of boosted cars, so that was fun.

If anyone doubts that it's a great bunch of folks: Gary offered to put the yellow car back on the trailer and pull the radiator out of it for me. Black Roadster and Paul (my buddy with the stock BRG) both offered to let me do a session in their cars while mine was out of commission. Ren offered to let me use the radiator for the afternoon, drive it back to Dallas, then package it up and mail it back to him when I sorted the problem out at home.

It was a new OE radiator that he used in his Spec for part of a season then replaced it with a Koyo. He offered to sell it to me, if it was the right part (it is) and we settled on a significant discount from his MazdaComp discounted price.

All in all - still a great day. And if anyone has photos of the final session, I'd love to see some of Mike's car velcro'd to the back of JohnWag's car...
    Last edited by CraiginTX; 09-24-2007 at 08:21 AM.
    '96 M-edition

Well, what were everyone's times? I have read people running better times than last year, running faster than boosted or specs. It seems like all who've posted had a great time. Plus there were no catastophic events where people remained stranded. Post those times!!!!
    Hope to join next year!!

1:37.1 (with consistent 1:37s and 1:38s in the last 2 sessions)

'94 Miata with @115 whp and street tires, first time at Hallett
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    1:37.1 (with consistent 1:37s and 1:38s in the last 2 sessions)

'94 Miata with @115 whp and HUGE street tires on 8-inch wide wheels , first time at Hallett
    There, fixed it for you...

Seriously, you were smokin' fast. Mike P. and JohnWag were running those times in session 4 on R-comps (both had 2 guys in the car). Nice work, Thomas!
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    There, fixed it for you...

Seriously, you were smokin' fast. Mike P. and JohnWag were running those times in session 4 on R-comps (both had 2 guys in the car). Nice work, Thomas!
    Thanks! They're still street tires though. I'd take a 205 R-comp over my 225 street tires any day.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Hey Craig, where'd you get that distilled water?

My dad has the original turbo that Bill Cardell (Flyin Miata) put on his car in 89/90. The turbo has 130k at least and Dad's 90' has 117k miles on it.

He drove 650 miles to Hallett we both drove it HARD on the track for a total of 160 miles. We didn't once have to add oil or water to car. Then he drove back home.

Thanks Dad! Turbos cars can be super reliable!

I did a 1:47 with Shanna following in the last session. Dad's car had Parada's that were worn out and 4 years old, so they were rocks. In the morning it felt like I was on ice skates. It got better as the track heated up, but I definately had to Drive the car. It drifted nicely through the Bitch several times.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast