Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Miatas at Hallet

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Hey Craig, where'd you get that distilled water?
    Darnit... I knew I was forgetting something. Once the new radiator was installed, SHARPIE gave me a gallon of distilled water and Jeff from Austin gave me a gallon of pre-mixed anti-freeze to get me filled up - so definitely add them to the list of awesome guys to go the track with.

After my afternoon session, I should have put on my Mazda cap and made a speech. "Well, the #52 Tucker, Sharpie, Jeff, Trackdog Miata ran good this afternoon..."

THANKS CHRIS!

Craig
    Last edited by CraiginTX; 09-24-2007 at 12:45 PM.
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    There, fixed it for you...

Seriously, you were smokin' fast. Mike P. and JohnWag were running those times in session 4 on R-comps (both had 2 guys in the car). Nice work, Thomas!

Thomas was smokin' fast.

I couldn't even keep up with him on the warm up lap!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I enjoyed hangin' out with you and Paul and pretending to "supervise" while you guys worked.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    begi sent me some strange looking compression gaskets for turbo->dp, maybe email stephanie. I'd flush the flanges first, maybe weld in a flex section too.
    I tried fix #3 last night. I combined a brand new metal gasket with one MYO gasket from the white sheet. I then replaced the bolts(one had fallen out) and put two nuts on each bolt. I know this will last a long time on the street, but it's the exhaust heat on the track that keeps taking out the gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I had an absolute blast and I really pushed myself more than the last Hallett and the TDR event. I was passing several people in the Intermediate 2 group including a supercharged NB.

The last session I felt much more consistant, smoother and faster than I have ever been before. I think my "cautious" track days are over and my confidence is back. I'm really looking forward to expanding my driving abilities now.
    Good improvement over last year. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Well, what were everyone's times? I have read people running better times than last year, running faster than boosted or specs. It seems like all who've posted had a great time. Plus there were no catastophic events where people remained stranded. Post those times!!!!
    Hope to join next year!!
    My best of the day was a 1:37.125. I had a lot of 1:37's and 1:38's.
    I had Thomas as a student for the first session. I did a poor job of explaining the track to him. I should have shown him the track before instructing. Once I did show him the line, his lap times proved his ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Thanks! They're still street tires though. I'd take a 205 R-comp over my 225 street tires any day.
    I'm not sure it would have made that much of a difference. I noticed that your car has a lot of grip, particularly when the track was cold and we were going through the 4,5,6 segment.
    After seeing how close our times were, I wish we would have ran the same session. We could have cat and moused like Mike P. and I did.
    Last edited by johnwag; 09-24-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    We could have cat and moused like Mike P. and I did.
    Dang to bad Speed and Thomas couldn't have joined in on the fun during the 4th session. Four cars going head to tail would of been a real blast. I'm surprised that they didn't bump Thomas up from intermediate running those times. We all have similar lap times and its fun to mix it up with guys you know.

Wag I needed a rabbit to chase thru 1 and 8-9. I wish we'd hooked up earlier so I could of found my limits thru those sections during the first couple of sessions. I know there is a couple of seconds to be made up for me thru those two corners and four also.

I watched Gary's video and you need to see it. He has a much faster line going thru four. You're going way to wide. I was hunting and pecking all day trying to find what would work best for me. Too much coasting going on thru there for me at least. I know you could knock off an easy second if you find the fast line.

Gary also has the video of that NC going off in 8 into the wall. Gary almost nailed skirt when the guy's car shot across his front bumper. Skirt locked up and Gary about lost the RB bumper. Lots of smoke and dust during that little fiasco. Too close for comfort. The guy actual went into the grass before the curbing at 8 and pulled the car onto the track only to get flung across the tack into the tire wall. Very lucky to get away with minimal damage after spinning 360* across the track and into the dirt and then rotaing some more after the first hit at the tire wall. HE was lucky he didn't flip over. That guy had no right to be in the advanced run group. If you need an instuctor in advance then you need to stay in intermediate.

That RJ fellow (head guy that held the driver's meeting), I hear, almost got into that same wall in the last session. I could see him trying to catch us and he was slowly reeling us in and the next thing you know he's nowhere to be seen.

Lots of fun to say the least.
    Last edited by 2K Miata; 09-24-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Does anybody have some good footage of the event?

Lee
    White n/a '97

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

Lee
    Gary ran video during session 1 & 2. I'll try and get his camera and convert that spin.

Wag was running his all day I think. I think Harry also runs his all the time. Maybe they can share.

How's things going for you and the wifey in San Fran?

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Gary also has the video of that NC going off in 8 into the wall.
    THAT's the one we all need to see.
    '96 M-edition

Dang to bad Speed and Thomas couldn't have joined in on the fun during the 4th session. Four cars going head to tail would of been a real blast. I'm surprised that they didn't bump Thomas up from intermediate running those times. We all have similar lap times and its fun to mix it up with guys you know.

Wag I needed a rabbit to chase thru 1 and 8-9. I wish we'd hooked up earlier so I could of found my limits thru those sections during the first couple of sessions. I know there is a couple of seconds to be made up for me thru those two corners and four also.

I watched Gary's video and you need to see it. He has a much faster line going thru four. You're going way to wide. I was hunting and pecking all day trying to find what would work best for me. Too much coasting going on thru there for me at least. I know you could knock off an easy second if you find the fast line.

Gary also has the video of that NC going off in 8 into the wall. Gary almost nailed skirt when the guy's car shot across his front bumper. Skirt locked up and Gary about lost the RB bumper. Lots of smoke and dust during that little fiasco. Too close for comfort. The guy actual went into the grass before the curbing at 8 and pulled the car onto the track only to get flung across the tack into the tire wall. Very lucky to get away with minimal damage after spinning 360* across the track and into the dirt and then rotaing some more after the first hit at the tire wall. HE was lucky he didn't flip over. That guy had no right to be in the advanced run group. If you need an instuctor in advance then you need to stay in intermediate.

That RJ fellow (head guy that held the driver's meeting), I hear, almost got into that same wall in the last session. I could see him trying to catch us and he was slowly reeling us in and the next thing you know he's nowhere to be seen.

Lots of fun to say the least.
    It would have a been a great time having 4 cars "in tow". I would really like to see Gary's line in 4. I felt like I never mastered it all day. I tried a lot of different lines through there and one never felt right. Thanks for the "improvement" in 2,6, and 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

Lee
    Soon.........

Gary ran video during session 1 & 2. I'll try and get his camera and convert that spin.

Wag was running his all day I think. I think Harry also runs his all the time. Maybe they can share.

How's things going for you and the wifey in San Fran?
    I have video from 3 sessions.
    Yeah Bacon, how's Cali and the new crib?

For sure!

It was an NB tough, we were parked near him. I couldn't believe the minimal damage.

And RJ did hit that wall too, just not as hard. I talked to the blonde with short hair who was his passenger at the time. He then pulled up on to the track without really looking and scared the piss out of an on coming car.

Apparently a NC did get a love tap from the rear by a red car, but the bumper popped back in.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

If anyone has video of Hallet that they want put on DVD let me know
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    It was an NB tough, we were parked near him. I couldn't believe the minimal damage.
    That guy (the TiSilver MSM that went through the wall) was my instructor last year...
    '96 M-edition

The TI MSM's have a long standing curse. I would say 80% of the wrecked MSM's are TI
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Talking

Probably because 80% of the MSM's are Titanium Grey...
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Good improvement over last year. Seriously.
    Thanks.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

1:40.288

I don't know how much is left in the car. I had lots of fun. Hopefully a little power will keep up with the gang next time...lol.

Here's the MSM into the wall - nice crash barrier, by the way - and William showin' how it's done...

Craig
    Last edited by CraiginTX; 03-07-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    '96 M-edition

i guess everyone goes into #7 too hot, oversteers, then points it at the wall in 8, at the bottom of the hill? I've seen so many wrecks there.

Here's the MSM into the wall - nice crash barrier, by the way - and William showin' how it's done...

Craig

Guess I wrote too soon. Was the car drivable?

yeah, I think he even drove the other 3 sessions if I'm not mistaken. Just had a dented fender from what I heard
    Blah blah blah!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast