Thread: Hallett Spin

Default Hallett Spin

Here is a small video of the guy spinning in turn 8 at Hallett this weekend.

This was taken from Shuhart's car and Skirt is in front of him.

The MSM goes off to the right and then spins across the track and into the tire wall at the left.

http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/spin.mov

This was 2-3 laps into the advanced group's first session of the day.

Looks bad...

Good thing the tire barrier was there.
    White n/a '97

That's pretty much the only place on that track where you can get into a wall...and its popular.

Thanks for posting that Mike! Good thing the yellow dog has brakes, and an attentive driver, Skirt could've been booted.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

He obviously was not familiar with the track. That being the blind corner that it is, if you have not commited to the proper line before you crest the hill, you're toast!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Weird thing is he instructed last year and was in the experience group. It was early and the track wasn't warm yet, but you'd think he'd know better.

It was early in the first session, and I was in turn 2 when this happened, and saw the black flag, it's a slow corner, so I pointed at myself and the corner worker gave a big nod. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong.

I moved to intermediate 1 after this session for several different reasons.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 09-26-2007 at 08:54 AM.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Wow! Nice spin!

You were right, Mike. Gary's line in 4 is different. It looks like he drives towards the white square, then turns in. I'm not sure cause the video is dimly lit.
    Gary locked up his r-comps hard in 8.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Wow! Nice spin!

You were right, Mike. Gary's line in 4 is different. It looks like he drives towards the white square, then turns in. I'm not sure cause the video is dimly lit.
    I take #4 like a waiting contest, then turn hard and hold the steering angle until the car is pointed at the outside edge of the straight into 5. (its faster to turn in too much, rather than too little) Some gradually tighten the wheel as they turn in, and they essentially split the top of the crest in that corner. Waiting then turning with a static steering angle netted me a little time, and it makes the car feel more settled (and easier on the driver) to then flick the it through 5. If I don't turn in late and pull the car out parallel to the outside of the track out of 4, then I can't apex early enough in 5, and avoid oversteer.

I stole this from running with SM practice sessions. They pulled on me less when I did it right. I felt like I was smokin' through there last weekend.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 09-26-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I take #4 like a waiting contest, then turn hard and hold the steering angle until the car is pointed at the outside edge of the straight into 5. (its faster to turn in too much, rather than too little)...
    I agree in print. It's working up the nerve to do it at speed that will take more practice. I always chicken out and start turning early...

However, you can wait too late - Mike P. was consistently reeling JohnWag in through 4 by turning a little earlier. They were both doing a great job of nailing the right edge of the short straight leading to 5.
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    I agree in print. It's working up the nerve to do it at speed that will take more practice. I always chicken out and start turning early...

However, you can wait too late - Mike P. was consistently reeling JohnWag in through 4 by turning a little earlier. They were both doing a great job of nailing the right edge of the short straight leading to 5.
    I'm a novice in the grand scheme of things...but I live on that track. I've been chasing vettes and scheming on the SM's out there with a chip on my shoulder for 9 months. For the last 6 days or so I've been trying to cut in the 1:39's at 94whp, and pissed off about it. 4-5-6 has to scare you, or you're not hitting it right.

I'm going to the 1.3msr next weekend, so I'm back to square-1, and excited about it. I need to buy some timing equipment.

If I don't turn in late and pull the car out parallel to the outside of the track out of 4, then I can't apex early enough in 5, and avoid oversteer.
    Don't avoid oversteer, just manage it That's my motto.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I've put 3-off on the outside of 5-6 at 80mph a couple times...always a pleasure.

That's pretty much the only place on that track where you can get into a wall...and its popular.
    Really? I've never seen anyone hit there out all the times I've been. I've seen people hit the tire wall at turn 2 either direction and turn 1 going CW a lot.

Couldn't really tell in the video, but looks like he drove right into it after loosing control...maybe tried to correct the wrong direction or over corrected. Either way that didn't look good.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Wow! Nice spin!

Hmm, my line through 4 is usually right in between Mike and Gary's lines in the video.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    hey... it ain't for nothin' we call you the dorifto kid!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Really? I've never seen anyone hit there out all the times I've been. I've seen people hit the tire wall at turn 2 either direction and turn 1 going CW a lot.

Couldn't really tell in the video, but looks like he drove right into it after loosing control...maybe tried to correct the wrong direction or over corrected. Either way that didn't look good.
    I've seen 4 cars hit that wall now...including the backflipping porsche. I think they're all experiencing lift-off oversteer, then at the bottom of the hill it hooks and points them at the wall. 1 scares the hell out of me more CW than CCW. I believe the late Ron Forristal did the same thing when he wrecked the z-pacecar.