Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1: Mclaren fined $100 million

Default Formula 1: Mclaren fined $100 million

No, that's not a typo. Mclaren Mercedes was fined one tenth of a billion dollars on Wednesday. They were also stripped of all of their constructor points for the '07 season after it was determined by the World Motor Sport Council that they were in possession of confidential technical data stolen from rival team Ferrari.

Wow.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It will be interesting to see if they can survive.

Bernie Ecclestein seen giggling like a little school girl all the way to the bank...

Thanks for posting this in Bull... What a big ugly blotch on Lewis Hamilton's BRILLIANT first season in the big league.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    It will be interesting to see if they can survive.

Im sure they will be ok, its rumored their budget is around 400 mil a year.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Bernie Ecclestein seen giggling like a little school girl all the way to the bank...

Thanks for posting this in Bull... What a big ugly blotch on Lewis Hamilton's BRILLIANT first season in the big league.
    Those were my first thoughts as well.....Old Bernie just wasn't making enough money.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post

Im sure they will be ok, its rumored their budget is around 400 mil a year.
    I'm just wondering if the 100 million euros could be just the beginning. I could see sponsors walking away rather than sponsoring a team branded as cheaters. And then there are the drivers that testified against the team... That has to be an uncomfortable situation going forward. Plus, Aren't the percentage of TV dollars tied to points that were taken away from them?

I just HAVE to wonder what Bernie's bonus structure is.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I just HAVE to wonder what Bernie's bonus structure is.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    You have small children at home, don't you?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    You have small children at home, don't you?
    [Thread Drift]
    I do, but they don't seem to show the classics like that any more. If you don't recognize that picture, it is from "Ali Baba Bunny", 1957. I must have seen it a hundred times when I was growing up in the 70's, but I don't think my daughter has ever seen it. I suspect that many of the old Looney Tunes classics like this are considered too violent, politically insensitive, etc for todays world.
    [/Thread Drift]

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    He is the small child at home...
    That's what she said...

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    considered too violent, politically insensitive, etc...
    Hassan chop!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    He is the small child at home...

So can McLaren appeal the decision??

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    The FIA will explain the reasons behind the Council's decision on Friday, after which McLaren will decide whether or not to appeal.
    That would be a yes, but when you say, "Yeah, we stole the stuff." what would be the basis of your appeal? 'I didn't know I was going to get in trouble' seems to always work these days.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    ...in possession of confidential technical data stolen from rival team Ferrari.
    If you want blow by blow details of the correspondence and e-mails start at this link.
    http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~154429.htm

Amazing the drivers were sharing info like they were autocrossers.

I don't think the punishment fits the crime. Think $100 Million is a little steep. The next thing the teams will be doing is monitoring all the conversations the drivers make to anyone.

I am dumbfounded. I am a Ferrari fan (specifically Massa), but I wanted to think that this sort of issue was as Mclaren said it was, simply one persons knowledge.

I don't see how with this data, the drivers points are not changed. I know they want a semblance of championship to put some honor back in to F1, but knowing the amount of engineering data they used or had privy to makes this a very hard championship to respect.

I know that Hamilton has done a good job of racing this year, but I for one can't respect his winning the championship knowing the team was utilizing the competitions data to give him a car to run.

I feel bad for Hamilton.

The penalty follows McLaren’s admission that the team was in breach of the International Sporting Code through their possession of confidential technical data belonging to rivals Ferrari, who are now all but assured of the 2007 constructors’ title.
    aren't they assured, rather than not assured? I hate this counter intuitive language perversion.
    /rant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast