Thread: S2K AX on 2/28/04 - Instruction on 2/22/04 @ Pennington

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default S2K AX on 2/28/04 - Instruction on 2/22/04 @ Pennington

I was checking out the S2K schedule http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=168872 . We already know the first event is on 2/28/04, but I see where they are having instruction class http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=172087 the Saturday before.
    Have any of y'all taken this class in the past? I think I'm the only nooB on the forum, but I'm wondering if this would be worthwhile for me. What do you seasoned racers think? TIA!

Default Re: S2K AX on 2/28/04 - Instruction on 2/22/04 @ Pennington

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I was checking out the S2K schedule http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=168872 . We already know the first event is on 2/28/04, but I see where they are having instruction class http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=172087 the Saturday before.
    Have any of y'all taken this class in the past? I think I'm the only nooB on the forum, but I'm wondering if this would be worthwhile for me. What do you seasoned racers think? TIA!
    Actually I think they are talking about the PCA: Intro to Autocross 101 - IA101 (at Pennington Field - Euless, TX) on Saturday, February 21, 2004.

Here is a link : http://www.mavpca.org/autocross/schools/schoolsreg.htm

I'm pretty sure Flyin96M & Onething have taken this class, and Maniac Mitch is a very active PCA guy, he may have more information on this event!

Mick

The Maverick PCA autocross schools are an excellent way to learn more about the sport. They are well run, well focused, and you will leave at the end of the day with a much greater understanding for both what you and your car are capable of.

If you are interested in autocrossing and want to get better, yet aren't willing or able to pay the money for Evolution schools, then the Maverick PCA schools are definitely the next best thing. Well run, well organized, more seat time than you can imagine, and you will generally have an individual instructor for the day, so the education you get will be focused directly on your skill level and desire for improvement.

here is a link to the Maverick PCA School information page. Cost for AX101 (Feb. 22) is only $35 for non-members, and I would encourage you to follow it up with AX102 & TT103 (March 6-7) for only $80 more - for less than the cost of one Evo school you'll get a whole season's worth of seat time... all under the watchful (and hopefully helpful) eye of an instructor.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks for the info Iain. I just registered. Anyone other AX nooB's on the forum going to be there?

Well, I'm not an autox nooB, but I'll be there. As an instructor.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Well, I'm not an autox nooB, but I'll be there. As an instructor.

Iain
    Cool! See you there! :)

Iain,

You know how bad I am I am thinking of the AX102 and TT03 on March 6 and 7. What do you think? Looks like good deal just from getting the seat time

Gab, I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. I watched you improve dramatically over the last season, and I'm sure you'll continue to do so over the coming season as well.

I think AX102/TT103 is a good deal for just about anyone. Heck, I learn almost as much from instructing students as the students do from their instructors - you'd be amazed at how much trying to teach others the "right" way to do something makes you aware of (and very critical of) your own technique.

That said, if I wasn't attending as an instructor, I'd attend as a student. It's an excellent learning opportunity for those with a few events under their belt - nothing will give you a better appreciation for what your own car is capable of than to be cringing in the passenger seat while some wild-assed, self-proclaimed hotshoe flings it down the back straight towards a 2nd gear slalom at 95mph.

Serisouly though, feedback and personal attention are what the PCA schools are all about. Your driving will improve - and your times will come down more - during this two-day weekend than they would in an entire season of running local events, imho. Because until you can get that constructive criticism and actually learn what you're doing wrong, you're not going to improve your times. You'll just keep doing the same thing over and over again, wondering why you're not improving. And as onething, Kestrel, and Flyin96M can all attest to, I'm not shy about telling you what I think you're doing wrong.

At the same time, I'm not shy about telling you what you're doing right, either.

Iain
    Iain

Iain,

Thanks! I am signing up right now! I am so sad that I missed the registration of S2K on the 28th. You think I have any chance still?

Gab Kwong

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Just got an email confirming this Sunday's Autocross 101 class at Pennington. It also stated the class is full! I saw Miatamaniac92 on the distribution list. See ya' there!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Just got an email confirming this Sunday's Autocross 101 class at Pennington. It also stated the class is full! I saw Miatamaniac92 on the distribution list. See ya' there!
    I'm not gona be able to make it, I have already emailed her back and let her know that my weekend is going to be really busy.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant