Thread: Timing belt

Default Timing belt

I sent this to Rogue but he's out of town till next week and I've got somebody who needs to know what a timing belt job would cost. Anybody here had one done that they can chime in with a ballpark number?

At the dealership: $600

Someone who knows what they're doing: $300-350 plus parts

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I sent this to Rogue but he's out of town till next week and I've got somebody who needs to know what a timing belt job would cost. Anybody here had one done that they can chime in with a ballpark number?
    PM Boisking... I bet he would be willing to do it for your friend for a fair price.

I could be persuaded too for the above mentioned price plus parts.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I had mine done for $563 - with all factory parts. I also had a couple of bad tensioner pulleys replaced on top of the standard timing belt job (included in the $563).

So, $450-500 should be fair.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 09-26-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Post up something about hosting a Tech Day. I've never done one, but I know others on the forum have. You may get it done for the cost of parts and food/drinks. I know it's well documented on miata.net.

Hmmm, mine cost me parts plus food/drinks for the tech day. Best Part is you can learn how to do it yourself. After seeing everything involved I can see why a dealer will charge you a lot for labor.

hint: replace the water pump while you are in there. It sure beats having to redo the whole thing later.

PM Boisking. He replaced the timing belt, water pump and all associating tensioners and seals. Twice! I got a bad water pump from "O'really's" and he had to do it all over a second time.

Both times were perfect. I'll let him chime in with cost.

I can help you out. If you want to host a tech day, I can come give pointers and get a little greasy. If that is too much trouble, $300 plus parts is fair (you get to fetch the parts). If you happen to get a bum pump like Johnwag's, I'll be a nice guy and do it super cheap the second time. I strongly recommend the water pump be replaced at this time (if the old pump starts leaking, the new belt is ruined), and I mildly recommend you replace the timing belt tensioner and both tensioner and idler pulleys. Don't forget to buy coolant, gaskets and brake cleaner.

Oh yeah, this is the perfect time to throw in a new front crank and cam seals, but only if they are already leaking/seeping would this be necessary.
    Last edited by boisking; 09-26-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: I thought it would be fun!
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    I can help you out. If you want to host a tech day, I can come give pointers and get a little greasy. If that is too much trouble, $300 plus parts is fair (you get to fetch the parts). If you happen to get a bum pump like Johnwag's, I'll be a nice guy and do it super cheap the second time. I strongly recommend the water pump be replaced at this time (if the old pump starts leaking, the new belt is ruined), and I mildly recommend you replace the timing belt tensioner and both tensioner and idler pulleys. Don't forget to buy coolant, gaskets and brake cleaner.

Oh yeah, this is the perfect time to throw in a new front crank and cam seals, but only if they are already leaking/seeping would this be necessary.
    I think it's prolly worth it to pony up for a new OEM water pump - I did. In the grand scheme, it ain't that big of a difference. The guy that did mine might cut me a deal on carryout parts if you can't get a deal at the stealership.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

As far as parts go, you may want to check with Trussville Mazda they still have free shipping and no sales tax.

Mazda Miata 94-2000 Timing Belt Kit
    Available Years: 2000, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994
    Available Models: Miata

DESCRIPTION: Mazda Miata Timing Belt Kit. Mazda reccomends changing your Timing Belt every 60,000 miles. NOTE: While changing the timing belt, the water pump is easily accessed. We would reccomend changing it at this time also.

Mazda Miata 94-2000 Timing Belt Kit 94-00-T Belt Kit $92.27
    Mazda Miata 94-05 Water Pump Kit
    Available Years: 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994
    Available Models: Miata

DESCRIPTION:Mazda Miata 94-05 Water Pump Kit have a leaking water pump? This factory kit is all you need to replace it. Also needs to be replaced when you replace the timing belt (while you're there...).

Mazda Miata 94-05 Water Pump Kit B6BF-15-010F $68.63

Mazdastuff.com is still cheaper, even with sales tax!

They have free shipping on orders over $100

Linkie 1
    Linkie 2
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Hmm, I gotta do mine too. 106k on the factory parts AFAIK.

I foresee a tech day in the future