Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idle problems

Default idle problems

I just bought a 92 from a guy and went to get it inspected and they will not inspect it due to the idle being too high (around 1700 sometimes up to 2000). the adjustment screw is all the way in and i tried to jumper it and adjust but it made no difference. i am not that mechanical and do not have the tools or knowhow to adjust the timing cna someone help me out this sunday ?
    Last edited by synaptik; 10-12-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    07 civic si sedan -- the new toy
    92 miata-dead 85 VF500F, 01 750 Ace Deluxe
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()
    - gus gus and gidget -- birds - stewie & Libby

Talking

Paging cam76034, please report to the white courtesy phone to explain how you fixed this issue on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Paging cam76034, please report to the white courtesy phone to explain how you fixed this issue on your car.
    You sure he didn't just sell the problem car to synaptik?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Ah, fond memories of the IAC valve conundrum. Cleaning the intake only seemed to make things worse, as I recall.

Do a search for idle air control valve here, channelmaniac helped me figure this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    No, no, no... he just buys them and collects them!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

im praying it is something simple as i dont have much disposable income i bought this car cause my 300z is crapping out and smoking under hard acceleration, i just have got to get it inspected asap. i have a week from thur to figure it out and get it back to the inspection place or i have to pay again
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post

he may have .... his name isnt robert is it ...lol

it could be as easy as a vacuum leak. id say check your lines first.

Quote Originally Posted by synaptik View Post
    im praying it is something simple as i dont have much disposable income i bought this car cause my 300z is crapping out and smoking under hard acceleration, i just have got to get it inspected asap. i have a week from thur to figure it out and get it back to the inspection place or i have to pay again
    I'd focus on fixing this first, then say, a style bar?

lol yea yea i know .... it doesnt affect my driving or gas mileage just my legality on the road

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I'd focus on fixing this first, then say, a style bar?

im mechanically challenged

perhaps someone tonight at the gtg can help me see

well.... i tried jumpering and messing with the adjustment screw again and now i idle even higher ... wth ... perhaps i will just retard the timing a bit so it comes down and put it back when i get home .... not hurting fuel economy got 29mpg on the last tank

well.... i tried jumpering and messing with the adjustment screw again and now i idle even higher ... wth ... perhaps i will just retard the timing a bit so it comes down and put it back when i get home .... not hurting fuel economy got 29mpg on the last tank
    Please don't take offense when I ask this... But... is it really idling that high? Or is the needle mis-positioned? Easy way to check? Put her in 1st gear and hold down the loud pedal until you stop accelerating. The needle should be pointing to 7200 or so. If it's pointing to 8000 +, then your car must have been serviced by Miata Technologies....
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

ha ... the needle is high also but when the inspector hooked up to the machine i was seeing about 1800 on my tach and the machine saw 1500 says i gotta get it below 1200 for them to inspect.

not offended at all ... i am mechanically challenged

OK... Cam gave you as hint, but I guess you missed it. I'm gonna bet the problem is in the ISC (Idle Speed Control) valve (referred to as the IAC on 1.8 cars). This is the contraption bolted to the bottom of the throttle body with a wire connected to it and a couple of coolant lines running through it. It has a temperature controlled solenoid that allows extra air past the TB and tells the ecu to add more fuel until the coolant is warm. This basically gives you a higher idle when the car is cold.

You can test it by letting the car warm up, pull the plug plugged into the ISC off, and use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the two terminals of the ISC valve connector. There should be a resistance of somewhere between 10 and 15 ohms. If you see an infinite resistance, it's bad.

This is the part you need to test. The 2 pins that you can just see inside that connector are the ones that you need to test the resistance on. By the way, I don't mean to ruin your day, but this little part is VERY expensive. The best NON-OEM price I have seen for it is around $420, and you don't even want to know what Mazda wants for the OEM version. Best bet is to find one used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i will get with the neighbor tomm i have no tools but i am sure he has a voltmeter. if it shows out of whack i just replace the part right ... but what if it is in spec>? (putting horse before the cart i know)
    autozone is showing it for 249 but doe anyone have a used spare one around ... looks about the same http://www.autozone.com/R,APP472179/...ductDetail.htm
    although the autozone one looks to have an extra tube other than the one you show in pic ,,, perhaps it is supposed to be there ... i dont have cruise on my car would that be what it is for?
    WAGS????? i know you got the hookup ion that 1.6l engine over there

i will get with the neighbor tomm i have no tools but i am sure he has a voltmeter. if it shows out of whack i just replace the part right ... but what if it is in spec>? (putting horse before the cart i know)
    autozone is showing it for 249 but doe anyone have a used spare one around ... looks about the same http://www.autozone.com/R,APP472179/...ductDetail.htm
    although the autozone one looks to have an extra tube other than the one you show in pic ,,, perhaps it is supposed to be there ... i dont have cruise on my car would that be what it is for?
    WAGS????? i know you got the hookup ion that 1.6l engine over there
    Wow... that's not a bad price... I gave up on a new one when mine went bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast