Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged threads

Default Damaged threads

I somehow stripped the theads on the top mount of one of my AGX shocks. Does anyone know of a way other than tap and die to repair this. Quite a bit of metal has been stripped away.

Default Re: Damaged theads

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    I somehow stripped the threads on the top mount of one of my AGX shocks. Does anyone know of a way other than tap and die to repair this. Quite a bit of metal has been stripped away.
    Tap and die is about the only way, if your thin on material you may have to go to the next size down. Which is spooky!

Is the AGX metric or standard? I have a few standard dies available, but no metric.....

I'll post a pic when I run by the house at lunch. I have never seen threads strip this bad.

I have a very complete set of taps and dies if you need one thats hard to find. It might also be possible to weld it and re-drill/tap it if its thin.

I finally got a pic up

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/252655

Would a tap and die work for this, or should I start looking for someone with a welder?[/code]

I think I'd start looking for someone with a welder, or think about buying a replacement shock, or send it back and have the shock rebuilt & the shaft replaced.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Ouch. It can be fixed, but not easily. What kind of shock is it? If its a koni that can be disassembled, then its cake to fix once its apart (you just have to have it recharged and put back together).

I have the equipment to do it. Let me know if you're interested.

It's a KYB AGX. I'll probably just replace it, since the whole set only has about 10,000 miles on them, and they cost less than $100.

Yup, that sounds like the most cost effective route to me.

They do have a lifetime warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I'd bet they don't cover owner-induced failures.

Ya never know 'till ya try!!!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I'd bet they don't cover owner-induced failures.
    Hey you never know, look at Iain's tires
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Hey now - that was an abnormal failure. I'm sure my launches may have contributed to their accelerated demise, but they weren't the primary cause.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well the torque wrench said that it was tight enough. It must just be a factory defect.

So how exactly does this happen?

I heard a popping sound, and thought that it was just the adjustable spring perch moving around (I did a search on the pointy board). I am guessing that I got the nut on there just tight enough for the shock to move around in the upper mount, or there really was a manufacturing defect. I removed the shocks and springs to take off what I originally thought was a perch for the threaded part of the coilover. Ironically this was the last shock that I was taking apart. When I tried taking the top nut off of the shock the nut seemed much easier to break loose than the others. After about 10 rotations, I checked to see how much farther before the nut came off. To my surprise I found out that the nut had not moved at all. I was finally able to remove the nut by lifting up on one side of the top mount in order to lift the nut high enough to catch on the threads that were remaining.

For anyone wondering what thread miata shocks use, it is 10Mx1.5. Unfortunately there was too much metal stripped away to fix my problem.

Does anyone have a 3/8-16 die? This seems to be just a hair smaller than the 10Mx1.5 and the thread spacing is almost the same.

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    For anyone wondering what thread miata shocks use, it is 10Mx1.5. Unfortunately there was too much metal stripped away to fix my problem.

Does anyone have a 3/8-16 die? This seems to be just a hair smaller than the 10Mx1.5 and the thread spacing is almost the same.
    Looking at the picture do you even have the 9.525mm / .375” of material left on the shaft of that shock to rethread it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast