Thread: Isuzu Rodeo Drain plug gasket

Default Isuzu Rodeo Drain plug gasket

Hey guys, I changed the oil on my girlfriends isuzu rodeo, and it is leaking near the drain plug. It is plenty tight, but not stripped or anything. I didnt put a new crush washer on it, but now I guess I need to. Will any aluminum crush washer of the appropriate size work? Do I need to go the the isuzu dealer or can I get one at autozone or orielys. Thanks

any aluminum or coper one will work. good luck trying to keep the oil in while you put it on...
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    . . . good luck trying to keep the oil in while you put it on...
    Can I come watch?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

good luck trying to keep the oil in while you put it on...
    Nah, that part is easy. All you have to do is roll the truck over onto its roof first.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

any aluminum or coper one will work. good luck trying to keep the oil in while you put it on...
    Been there, done that.

In fact, I think POS has pics.

I figure rather than scratch the top of the car( its not a truck iain... hehe) I was going to pour some of the oil dry like they use at race tracks down the oil fill hole. I bet that would soak up the oil and keep it from coming out.

There is a really easy way to do this.

Take a vacuum. Take a rag. Place rag over the bare end of the hose. Turn the vacuum on. Put the rag-covered hose on the oil-fill. You might want somebody to do this part while you pull the plug down below. The oil won't come out as long as the suction stays on the fill. When you pull the plug, you will hear air rushing into the drain as the vacuum pulls air through the engine.

We do this at work all the time (when a car comes in w/ a bad plug gasket), I haven't had a single drop of oil fall on me.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

ok thats crazy
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Not when you do it 2-3 times a week, and IT WORKS!

I'll admit, I thought it was pretty crazy the first time I was told to do it. It all seems pretty logical after you've tried it though, those vacuums can pull a lot of suction through the motor. The rag is in there just in case, but I've never seen a rag with even so much as a speck of oil on it.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

hmm, learn new things each day i guess
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

If I didn't know you were dead serious I'd swear you were pulling a fast one on us.

I could have used that technique last year.

ya at first i thought he was making it up....
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Until I got to his post, I was gonna respond with the same technique. I've done it on motorcycles before.

Use a wet/dry vac..... Don't use the household upright. If the vac sucks a cup of Mobil1, it won't be pretty inside the Kirby/Sunbeam/Hoover.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Here's a temporary fix that will keep the thing from dripping until the next oil change: Loosen the drain bolt a couple of turns and then quickly wrap teflon plumbing tape around it 4 or 5 times. Tighten the drain bolt back and you should get a good seal. YMMV
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.