Thread: High Pedal Clutch

Question High Pedal Clutch

On one of those rare occasions I got to drive the '02 to work today.

I noticed the clutch seem to catch way up high in the travel of the pedal. I Changed the oil on it last weekend, and lubed the front sway bar. It ticks me off I didn't check the slave cylinder for any signs of a leak... But all fluid levels were normal.

Wouldn't a high clutch pedal be a sign of a possible slave revolt?

Sounds more like a "wear" problem to me. How many miles are on that "perty" car? Could it be that someone slips the clutch a bit more than normal?
    Last edited by MadMerv; 11-02-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelin'
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Sounds more like a "wear" problem to me. How many miles are on that "perty" car? Could it be that someone slips the clutch a bit more than normal?
    It's just about to cross the 50,000 mile mark.

It is one of the world renowned Clutch shudder cars so we do tend to slip the clutch to overcome the occasional shudder.

And the wife tends to drive it like she stole it.

Probably slipped a little too much.

You didn't have them replace the clutch for the shudder? Mine fell outside the range for it but the stealership replaced it anyway. It had the shudder pretty bad.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    You didn't have them replace the clutch for the shudder? Mine fell outside the range for it but the stealership replaced it anyway. It had the shudder pretty bad.

RJ
    No way, she had a bad experience with a Mazda dealer changing out a simple radio. She said on that day a dealer service tech would never again touch the car. Well actually the official statement she made had a lot more profanity in it, but I know how sensitive some of you kids can be so I toned it down.

The car has never been back to a Mazda dealer for any service of any type since, it's all been done in house. She has stated Miata Solutions will be the only ones to ever touch the car if it ever has an issue I can't fix.

Hard to argue such a well thought out plan.

My Integra has the same problem, but it acted that way right after a brand new clutch was installed...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    She has stated Miata Solutions will be the only ones to ever touch the car if it ever has an issue I can't fix.
    I'll back her up on that one

No more Midas for me!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

How about LOW engagement point? After I have the clutch line fixed, both cylinders replaced, it is engaging at very low in the pedal travel with little modulation. I do have the shudder if I am not careful, especially the 1st gear. Low engagement is a sign of "toasted clutch"??
    Gabriel