Thread: foggy winshield solutions

Engine Builder

Default foggy winshield solutions

How's everyone enjoying this lovely weather?

I'm looking for tips on how to keep myself from freezing and my windows from fogging all up on these lovely wintry days. I spent my commute today swapping from heat on my feet to a/c on the front windshield every two minutes.

Keeping the A/C running is the key from what I understand. That will remove the humidity from the air. I usually just turn the fan on 4 and blow it at the windshield, since the miata is so small that usually keeps the cabin warm enough too.

I usually select the defrost/foot position and make sure the fresh air vent is on. I adjust the heat accordingly.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I usually select the defrost/foot position and make sure the fresh air vent is on. I adjust the heat accordingly.
    +1

Engine Builder

This morning nothing seemed to work other than having the a/c on 2 and defrost. It was a chilly ride, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by saffikeagan View Post
    This morning nothing seemed to work other than having the a/c on 2 and defrost. It was a chilly ride, for sure.
    Dial in some more heat.

Engine Builder

IOW: crank the heat and depress the a/c button. I'll give it a try. Of course, I'm pretty sure some Windex wouldn't hurt the situation.

Did you have the vent control in fresh air or recirc?
    It should be in the Fresh air position.

You should still be able to crank up the heat while the defrost mode is on. BTW, the Defrost mode automatically kicks on the A/C even if you don't push the a/c button.

Engine Builder

I had it on fresh, hot, and defrost. Then fresh hot defrost/feet, then fresh cold defrost, then cold defrost a/c, then hot feet, then cold defrost a/c, then hot feet, then cold defrost a/c...I think you get the idea.

Fresh Hot Def/Feet A/C ought to have worked unless you have a bad heater core. In which case the steam off of the heater core would cause one of the worst cases of fogged windows you have ever seen. But you would definately smell the radiator fluid if that were the case.

You can go to Autozone and buy some stuff called NEVER FOG to spray on the windshied. I think it ismanufactured by the same company that makes Rain-X.

Engine Builder

I'll give the fresh hot defrost/feet a/c a go again tomorrow to make sure I had the combo right.

No radiator fluid smell is present.

+2
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Did you feel the engine bog down when the AC kicked on? If not, your compressor may not be turning on due to an AC system issue.

Without the AC running you'll end up with lots of moisture in the air inside the car which makes it harder to keep the windows clear.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

BTW, the Defrost mode automatically kicks on the A/C even if you don't push the a/c button.
    This may be the case for your fancy MSM, but it is not so on NA Miatas.

I choose the defrost/feet setting, turn the AC on, adjust the fan up until the fogging is under control, and then adjust the heat to my liking.

I used some stuff I bought at the grocery store to keep your bathroom windows from fogging up when you take a hot shower. You just wipe it on and buff it off it works pretty well for a while.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car