Thread: how to remove outside mirror and door lock?

Default how to remove outside mirror and door lock?

going to change out the passenger door on an NA, and can't readily see how to remove the side mirror or the door lock cylinder

the replacement door has threaded holes with screws sticking in them, sticking out like the mirror base bolts down onto the door with two big screws

the existing mirror has a cover all around it below the part that swivels, and I'm reluctant to pry on 15 year old plastic to see if it pops out of the way to get to the screws

and with the door panel off, I can't feel any bolts to remove from the inside

anyone know how to remove the mirror?

and, I want to change out the lock cylinder since I don't have a key for the new door's lock and can't see how that gets removed either
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Don't ya just twist the base of the mirror so you can get to the screw heads. That's the way it works on my NB's, but it's been a while since I messed with an NA.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post

Don't ya just twist the base of the mirror so you can get to the screw heads. That's the way it works on my NB's, but it's been a while since I messed with an NA.
    That is how I had to do it to remove the ones on my 96.

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    the replacement door has threaded holes with screws sticking in them, sticking out like the mirror base bolts down onto the door with two big screws

the existing mirror has a cover all around it below the part that swivels, and I'm reluctant to pry on 15 year old plastic to see if it pops out of the way to get to the screws
    I left the screws in the door so you would have 2 non-rusted screws, just in case.

On manual mirrors you have to pop that plastic base off with a pocket screwdriver. There is small slot specifically for a small screwdriver. Once you pop off the plastic cover, swivel it and the screws will be exposed.

I need to remove mine to repaint them, but seem to recall hearing they are a real pain to get back on.

thanks everyone

as johnwag said, the NA has a little screwdriver slot on the base/cover that you pop up and then swivel to get to the screws

saw that but was reluctant to pry on 15 year old plastic till I knew what would happen

and found a "how to" on the lock cylinder that I'll try on the old door so if I screw it up, the new door will just have a different key that I won't have, but the lock will work

Finished the door swap.

Mirror very simple. Door lock cylinder swap required some contortions, but easy to do once I knew the basic things that had to be done. Miata.net "how to" steered me in the right direction, but included a couple of not needed steps.