Thread: Fall Colors Tour

Default Fall Colors Tour

It's that time of year again. The weather is cool and crisp, winding roads are beckoning, and leaves in the Ozarks are displaying vibrant color. Yes, it's the perfect time to head out for a weekend of top down motoring with your friends.

What: NTS2KOC Fall Colors Tour 2004 w/ the Ark-La-Tex Sports Car Assoc, and Metroplex Miata Enthusiasts
    When: November 6-7th
    Destinations: Beavers Bend State Park, Talimena Scenic Trail, Queen Wilimena Inn, Hot Springs, Arlington Hotel, Magazine Mountain, Roads that just aren't straight!

Meeting Time & Place:
    November 6th, 6:00AM at Starbucks - McDermott at Central Exp
    904 McDermott Dr
    Allen, Tx
    **We will be meeting the Ark-La-Tex club in Broken Bow, OK at 10:00AM so be ready to go at 6:00!**
    S2Ki.com Info:
    http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...owtopic=243426

Accomodations: We have a block of 10 or more rooms currently reserved at the Arlington Hotel & Spa. The rate is $79 for one adult, $89 for two. Please make your reservations soon by calling (800) 643-1502 ext.1 for reservations. To get the special rate you need to mention that you are with the North Texas S2000 Owners Club. We will have access to indoor secured parking at $9 per car, possibly in their "exhibition room".

Arlington Hotel & Spa
    239 Central Avenue
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Phone (800) 643-1502

Rules of the Road: This will be a "lead" tour but we encourage your to take it at your own pace. We have laid out several meeting points and picture taking opportunities along the way so that we can regroup. We encourage responsible driving and expect that you will observe the posted speed limits. Route maps, contact phone numbers, and pertinent information will be handed out at the Saturday morning driver's meeting.

What to bring: Hotel reservation number, start with a full tank of gas, snacks, extra set of keys, sunscreen, camera, phone, overnight bags, evening beverages if desired, FRS/GMRS radios if you have them.

Loose Itinerary:
    November 6th
    6:00AM - Drivers Meeting at Starbuck's
    8:00AM - Break
    10:00AM - Meet the Ark-La-Tex Club in Broken Bow, OK
    Noon - Lunch at Beavers Bend State Park, Group Photo
    1:30PM - Drive the Talimena Scenic Trail, Photo Ops
    Late Afternoon - Arrive at the Queen Wilimena Inn, Photo Ops, Break
    6'ish - Check-In at Arlington Hotel & Spa
    7:15PM - Meet for Dinner in Hotel Lobby, Short Walk to Belle Arte (Italian)
    Evening GTG - TBD

November 7th
    7:00AM - Meet in the Hotel Lobby for Breakfast
    8:00AM - Check-Out of Hotel
    8:15AM - Meet for Group Photo, Location TBD
    10'ish - Magazine Mountain Run - Highest point in AR, Photo Ops, Run the Mountain.
    Noon - Departing Lunch, DFW drivers home before dark
    Optional - Eureka Springs drive and dinner based on driver interest

Hope a good group goes. I love that road. I am driven that road in an AMC Gremlin and was still fun to drive. My 02 SE makes it icing on the cake. I will be there the week end before. Ya'll have fun. A good resturant in Mena is the Chopping Block. I have eaten there several times.

Quote Originally Posted by deamon deacon
    "...in an AMC Gremlin..."
    And you'll admit to owning an AMC Gremlin?

OK, if we're confessin', my second car was a Yucatan Tan 6 cylinder AMC Gremlin. A hand-me-down from my Mom. Gratefully taken, I might add.

Woohooo!!!!!

Count me officially out guys... That is First Saturday weekend. The computer sale comes first.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Me and Barb are hoping to go on this one. I'll let you nkow as soon as we have the funds.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be in B'ham that weekend for a friend's wedding so I'll miss out as well. Ya'll have fun though....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Tailchaser - any update on how many of you guys will be joining us S2Kers for the drive?

FYI...I'll be riding shotgun with Clovis so I can concentrate on photography both on the drive and for scenic car shots for everyone - yeah, even you Miata guys.

We'd love to have some company in the twisties!
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

Other commitments prevent me from tagging along... Hopefully anyone on this board knows that they need to contact Clovis to confirm their attendance. (Hint hint).

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us - your lead back from Tioga sure was fun! In fact, it was so fun I went back up there for lunch (on many of the same roads) this past Saturday! Damn that's some good BBQ!!!
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

So does anyone know how many and who are going on this trip. I would rather not be the only Miata in the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    So does anyone know how many and who are going on this trip. I would rather not be the only Miata in the bunch.
    Miata, S2000...who cares??? I think we all appreciate many of the same things when it comes to fine roadsters at home in their natural element on wonderful twisties. Add to that the beautiful fall colors of our neighboring states and who could resist!

As far as being outnumbered, consider it payback for how you MME guys often come close to or exceed us in numbers at our own autocross events. (Still the best in the area BTW!)

I had a blast on the MME Octoberfest drive that TC planned. First class event and a great turn out. Why not join us regardless of what other MME members are doing. I promise - you will be warmly welcomed!

Hope to see you next weekend.

Davo
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

Just got back from the Talimena Drive today. I was disappointed with the lack of color but we had a good day. Maybe next week will be better. Hope ya'll have a good time. If you go through Hugo, OK, check out the Busy Bee. Great hamburgers and the owner has a new Velocity Red MX-5. He also serves breakfast but I haven't eaten breakfast there so I can't vouch for that. It's a small place downtown. Hugo is so small it wouldn't be hard to find.

Good to hear that place is still around!

I used to eat there quite a bit when I lived in Paris... Used to work for a computer store there and had to go to Hugo to do networking installs/fixes for the school district.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Unfortunately, this trip falls on the same weekend as the Equipe Rapide double-header season finale in Mineral Wells. Most of us cone-dodgers will be spending the entire weekend standing around in an abandoned airfield in a futile attempt to wrangle enough points for season-end trophies.

Photodavo - you and Clovis and the gang have fun and be careful! Take some good photos for us!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well I didn't know the S2K guys were planning this, but I believe we saw them on our way home. There were lot's of slow Hogs that weekend and I believe they were stuck behind one. So who had the new Viper?

Tallimena traffic was bad so we went and played at the wall and a certain deserted mountain road. I seem to have worn the Azenis down to slicks that day, so the roads were good and I had a blast!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M
    Well I didn't know the S2K guys were planning this, but I believe we saw them on our way home. There were lot's of slow Hogs that weekend and I believe they were stuck behind one. So who had the new Viper?

Tallimena traffic was bad so we went and played at the wall and a certain deserted mountain road. I seem to have worn the Azenis down to slicks that day, so the roads were good and I had a blast!
    Yeah, that was us - great weekend for a drive!!! We saw a couple groups of miatas and some Porsches. We spent the night in Hot Springs and then ran up to Magazine Mountain - now that was a real blast!!!

The Viper driver is Hal from the ARK-LA-TEX S2000 Club (He has an S also). Somehow he always ended up at the back of the line.

Check out the photos on the forums at S2000.org.
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000