Thread: 2008 National Tour

Default 2008 National Tour

Interesting thread with dates. Sucks for us. Looks like we will be driving.
    http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/27624...ad.aspx#276248

Dang, looks like I'll be going to about 1 NT this year then.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Dang, looks like I'll be going to about 1 NT this year then.
    I dunno, Milwaukee sounds pretty temping. Laverne and Shirley live there, you know.

I agree -- looks like I will only be doing one. Still, that's more than last year.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only 14.5 hous to Cecil, GA

20.5 hours to San Diego, CA

6 hours to Newport, AR (Pro solo)

12 hours to Atlanta, GA

26 hours to Devens, MA

14 hours to Peru, IN

15 hours to Milwaukee, WI

29 hours to Packwood, WA
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

What, no event in Houston?!?

A quick look at Google maps and the site in Newport looks like its about half the size as the site at Walnut Ridge. The apron is the same width, but a LOT shorter. So... either a single format ProSolo (yay, had so much fun with that format last year in Walnut Ridge ), or two very, very short courses.

It's also about the same distance as Walnut Ridge. Not worth a 1000 mile round trip, imho.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Question No Houston!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    What, no event in Houston?!?
    Yea hey what's up with that!

Newport, AR is just a bit closer than Walnut Ridge. Also, the surface is much better than Walnut Ridge from what one person told me. It can't be as "middle-of-no-where" as Walnut Ridge!

Yes, from what I've seen on a schedule, it will be a single course format Pro Solo.

Did you try the one at Walnut Ridge last year? It wasn't that bad. Just different.

As far as being "worth the trip", they're still a blast to compete in! Any time I can find a "National" type event within a days drive, I try to go.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Well, originally when the "big-dogs" talked earlier this year, there was suposed to be a Pro Solo in Houston. With Dallas & Houston trading back & forth every year.

Not sure what happened with that plan though?
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by autoxmax View Post
    Newport, AR is just a bit closer than Walnut Ridge. Also, the surface is much better than Walnut Ridge from what one person told me. It can't be as "middle-of-no-where" as Walnut Ridge!

Did you try the one at Walnut Ridge last year? It wasn't that bad. Just different.
    Newport is only 38 miles from Walnut Ridge. It's not like it's that much closer to here, or any other form of civilization!

Yeah, I went last year. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the ProSolo, and a little disappointed that the Tour (which was a lot of fun in '06) was compressed into one day. As Doug often says, "it was the best event I attended that weekend", but that's not saying much. For the effort and expense I put into attending a National level event, I expect more than I got in Walnut Ridge last year. A lot more.

I've always had fun in Houston, the site is good, and the organization is top notch. I'm very sad to see that they're not on the calendar next season.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Newport is only 38 miles from Walnut Ridge. It's not like it's that much closer to here, or any other form of civilization!

Yeah, I went last year. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the ProSolo, and a little disappointed that the Tour (which was a lot of fun in '06) was compressed into one day. As Doug often says, "it was the best event I attended that weekend", but that's not saying much. For the effort and expense I put into attending a National level event, I expect more than I got in Walnut Ridge last year. A lot more.

I've always had fun in Houston, the site is good, and the organization is top notch. I'm very sad to see that they're not on the calendar next season.
    I'm curious what more it was that you expected. As a general statement, I agree with what you are saying!

But, when the events don't get attendance, that's what happens! The pre-event entry levels were VERY low for the Walnut Ridge events & that's the only way the National Staff could respond to the situation. That's why the Mineral Wells Pro was canceled!

Last year entry/attendance for Tours & Pro Solos in the mid part of the country was dismal at best & the National staff responded for next season by putting most of the events on either coast for next year.

I think the Houston Region has put on some of THE best National Tours I have ever attended, EVER!! But last year the Houston Tour didn't even match entry levels that they have at regional events.

The message we as a collective of competitors in the sport sent to the National staff was "whatever"! And the result is now reality. They've moved most of the Tours to the East & West coasts where attendance levels typically hit the entry caps.

These National events are going to stop existing in our area if they are not attended! The National staff has made that clear!

The Dallas Tour is a roll of the dice & Matt is working his *** off to make it happen.

If the events in Dallas & Arkansas are not attended well, I'm sure you'll see the result the following year.

This sport is what YOU put into it! Attendance & otherwise! Both locally & nationally!

Brad
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Well dang! The ProSolo in Arkansas is the same weekend as the Evolution school.

Already sent in my money so looks like we'll stay close to home that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotgirl View Post
    Well dang! The ProSolo in Arkansas is the same weekend as the Evolution school.

Already sent in my money so looks like we'll stay close to home that weekend.
    Houston is hosting an Evo school too, Lisa!

Maybe they would let you transfer your money to the other school?
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Texas region wanted to put on a Tour this year and Houston region bowed out to let them have a chance to run the show. Had the National Office not given Texas region the event we would have put it on. We're happy that Texas Region got it, we're on vacation this year!

Quote Originally Posted by autoxmax View Post
    Houston is hosting an Evo school too, Lisa!

Maybe they would let you transfer your money to the other school?
    Might have to do that Brad........with the Evo school being the same weekend as a ProSolo.........won't most, if not all of the potential instructors, be going to the ProSolo?