Thread: Top Repair

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

Default Top Repair

I need to have the top on my '90 repaired.

The guy who had it before me parked in someone else's parking spot and they sliced it right above his lap as a reminder not to do that again.

What's the best way to get this done? Is there a DIY method? Or is there a reputable upholstery repair place in the Frisco/Plano/McKinney area?

There are numerous aftermarket solutions to replacing the top, if cost is not an issue. For me, the DIY method was the only way to do it. Go to a fabric shop and find nylon upholstry thread. The cheap cotton stuff works, but the nylon is stronger. Sew the top by hand, tying knots every 3/4 inch or so to avoid unraveling if the thread breaks. Make sure to give yourself almost 1/4 inch of material on either side of the cut with your needle, to prevent the thread from ripping the vinyl as you close the slice. After the cut is closed (and frankenstein looking) use silicon to seal the seam. My top is black vinyl, so I used Mopar black ATF sealant. This particular stuff cures completely dry much faster than RTV.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

Went to Arnold's in McKinney. JR runs the place and did a great job. He used basically the same method described but without the 'sewing'.

He basically glued a piece of vinyl to the underneath side and sealed it from the top with black silicone.

It really looks pretty good and at $65, it's a lot less than a new top. I'd recommend JR for any upholstery work, he's a really good guy.