Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like my bank lost a deposit...

Default Looks like my bank lost a deposit...

OK... first off, I'm a dumbass for believing my bank in the first place. I had a nice pile of change built up and rather than letting Coin Star have their 9%, I asked my bank if they would deposit loose change into my account. Well, sure they do! So I counted most of it (it's about $80) and brought it in, whereupon they bagged it and tagged it in front of me, then gave me a tag from the bag as a receipt.

That was before Thanksgiving...

So, after getting the runaround for the last several weeks, I've decided that this little chunk is either lost or one of the bank employees just stole it. Dumbass me for trusting a living, breathing bank employee with anything slightly out of the ordinary.

Anyhow, if this is indeed gone, I fully expect them to say "sorry" and tell me to go piss up a rope. Granted, it's only about $80, but it's the damn principle of the thing. Any ideas of how I should handle this, outside of causing bodily harm to the slapdicks at my local Wells Fargo (oops, did I just type that?) branch.

And believe me, next time I'm going to just dump that crap into the nearest Coin Star box and call it a day.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Do ya still have the receipt? With it how can they tell ya to pound sand?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Do ya still have the receipt? With it how can they tell ya to pound sand?
    Yep... I have a receipt, but the trick is that it doesn't have a $$$ amount on it, since they can't count it right there... it goes to the central branch, where they count it, then credit my account. All of that was supposed to take a paltry 3-5 business days.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Yep... I have a receipt, but the trick is that it doesn't have a $$$ amount on it, since they can't count it right there... it goes to the central branch, where they count it, then credit my account. All of that was supposed to take a paltry 3-5 business days.
    Boy that sucks.

How long have you been with Wells?

Will they credit you the $80 since they lost the bag?

Wells Fargo (oops, did I just type that?) branch.
    Phew... I was sweating there for a minute.

I would go in to the branch where the deposit occurred and ask to speak to the branch manager about it. If he tries to push you to call an 1-800 number, respectfully remind him that this is not a lost mortgage payment, but a physical deposit lost be his branch and that it is his responsibility to resolve. If he is still not helpful, ask to MEET with his superior, which should be a district manager (we call them market executives, but everyone calls them something different). This person will likely oversee many branches in the Dallas area.

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    How long have you been with Wells?

Will they credit you the $80 since they lost the bag?
    I ended up with them after my old local bank got bought out, and bought out, and bought out again. I opened an account with the original bank around '92, but it's been Wells since '98 or '99.

I should find out today whether or not they'll own up to losing it or not. If they credit me something, I'll consider it a bonus, but I'm not expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I would go in to the branch where the deposit occurred and ask to speak to the branch manager about it. If he tries to push you to call an 1-800 number, respectfully remind him that this is not a lost mortgage payment, but a physical deposit lost be his branch and that it is his responsibility to resolve. If he is still not helpful, ask to MEET with his superior, which should be a district manager (we call them market executives, but everyone calls them something different). This person will likely oversee many branches in the Dallas area.
    Yeah, I'm slowly working my way up the chain. They haven't told me to call a 1-800 number yet, but I have had to push a little bit to get past the guy I was dealing with originally (some kid who can't be more than 19). I'm out of town (and so is the kid's boss, apparently), but I called him today and said I'd like an answer by the end of the day since this has been unresolved since November.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Yeah, I'm slowly working my way up the chain. They haven't told me to call a 1-800 number yet, but I have had to push a little bit to get past the guy I was dealing with originally (some kid who can't be more than 19). I'm out of town (and so is the kid's boss, apparently), but I called him today and said I'd like an answer by the end of the day since this has been unresolved since November.
    These days a branch manager is similar to the McD's shift manager. He has some power in his his little world, but is really a small fish when you look at the big picture. Be polite and respectful, but make it clear that you will go over his head if needed. Once the believes this, he should work quickly to resolve your problem to keep you from bothering his manager.

Well it sounds like you are getting no where fast.

I have some advice for you... keep in mind I work for the largest bank/finance company in the world.

Write a short succinct letter to the CEO, if you can an e-mail that will do as well.

"I have had accounts with WFC for X amount of years... I came in with exactly (to the penny) in change, I was given a reciept and now have been told X. I have spoken with X of X day and X on X day and have recieved no resolution."

Of course add some more details and let them know that you will be filing a complaint with the BBB and other organizations.

In our company its called a "Presidential Response".. it only takes a day or two to filter down from the higher ups. Back in the day when I was a VP managing a group of 72 customer facing employees we got a few of these a year.

Most were menial... however our response had to go back up the alphabet.

VP, SVP, EVP to the Managing Director.

We even had testing to ensure they were responded to and that both the department VP and the SVP signed off on them.

The issue is you are trying to find someone with DOA (delegation of authority) high enough to consider the refund.

If you start at the top you do less work... and if they are like us you will get results.

Here you go:

Wells Fargo & Company
    Attn: John G Stumph, CEO
    420 Montgomery Street
    San Francisco, CA 94104
    Last edited by XM_Rocks; 01-02-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    Here you go:

Wells Fargo & Company
    Attn: John G Stumph, CEO
    420 Montgomery Street
    San Francisco, CA 94104
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Well... you're not gonna believe this... and I sure won't until I see it... but I talked to Pimple Face earlier today, and he said that they were going to go ahead and drop $80 in my account. They FINALLY discovered that they somehow lumped my change in with someone else's and dropped the whole amount in their account. Sooooo... after literally weeks of visits and phone calls, the saga appears to suddenly be over. I'm effing shocked, and I still don't believe it...

We'll see if that actually happens... and if it doesn't, well, that name and address might just come in handy!

Thanks, guys!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

but you only counted "most of it" so you still got a small shaft ... better than losing the whole chunk
    07 civic si sedan -- the new toy
    92 miata-dead 85 VF500F, 01 750 Ace Deluxe
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()
    - gus gus and gidget -- birds - stewie & Libby

Quote Originally Posted by synaptik View Post
    but you only counted "most of it" so you still got a small shaft ... better than losing the whole chunk
    I tallied most of it at $76 and change... the rest was an assload of pennies I didn't feel like counting, so $80 ought to make me whole.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

saving for that supercharger huh ... you better tally all those pennies
    07 civic si sedan -- the new toy
    92 miata-dead 85 VF500F, 01 750 Ace Deluxe
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()
    - gus gus and gidget -- birds - stewie & Libby

OK... first off, I'm a dumbass for believing my bank in the first place. I had a nice pile of change built up and rather than letting Coin Star have their 9% ...
    Coinstar has several payment options that don't deduct 9% from your total.

http://www.coinstar.com/us/WebDocs/A1-0-3-1

My choice would be the Amazon.com gift card.
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by synaptik View Post
    saving for that supercharger huh ... you better tally all those pennies
    Damn straight!

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    Coinstar has several payment options that don't deduct 9% from your total.

http://www.coinstar.com/us/WebDocs/A1-0-3-1

My choice would be the Amazon.com gift card.
    I didn't see a Track Dog gift card... soooooooo... cash value, please? :)
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

You did, of course, assess the same $20 fee to Wells Fargo for their mistake that they would have immediately deducted from your account for a similar error on your part, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    You did, of course, assess the same $20 fee to Wells Fargo for their mistake that they would have immediately deducted from your account for a similar error on your part, right?
    Ahh, but it gets canceled out. WF must charge a $20 fee associated with payment of fees leveed in the event of an error.

Some years ago I had my IRS refund direct deposited. The IRS screwed up and put the wrong account number on my refund so it went into someone else's account. It only took me 9.5 months of fighting with the IRS to get it fixed.

I'm now perfectly happy to receive a paper check every year and go deposit it myself.
    I am the Cookie Monster, not the macaroni monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Prova7 View Post
    Some years ago I had my IRS refund direct deposited. The IRS screwed up and put the wrong account number on my refund so it went into someone else's account. It only took me 9.5 months of fighting with the IRS to get it fixed.

I'm now perfectly happy to receive a paper check every year and go deposit it myself.
    I bet the person that the IRS gave that money to them drafted it out of their account 10 months later was beyond PO'd when they took it back.
    Blah blah blah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast