Thread: Aux-In Question

Default Aux-In Question

My car stereo has an Aux-in in the back. I use it to play my iPod. I now have a GPS with a headphone jack. Can I get a splitter so I can hear my GPS along with my iPod. Would that work?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I'm guessing it would have to be a switchable one, not just a Y. I'm sure you can find them.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I'm guessing it would have to be a switchable one, not just a Y. I'm sure you can find them.
    If you had a regular Y, wouldn't it just run both signals into the aux input? Isn't that what you're looking for, William? I've got one around here somewhere... if I cand find it, I'll try it.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I would think that an unswitched cable could potentially damage one or both devices if they were both on at the same time, as you would effectively be applying an input current to a circuit designed for output only.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I would think that an unswitched cable could potentially damage one or both devices if they were both on at the same time, as you would effectively be applying an input current to a circuit designed for output only.
    Hmmm... maybe I won't be the guinea pig on this one...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Hmmm... maybe I won't be the guinea pig on this one...
    Then again, the circuits could be designed with a diode at the output to prevent current to flow in the the out door.

I also must admit that my electronics schooling was over 10 years ago and never utilized, making my memory very fuzzy and the odds of me being full of shit pretty high. Where's CM when we need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Then again, the circuits could be designed with a diode at the output to prevent current to flow in the the out door.

I also must admit that my electronics schooling was over 10 years ago and I was pretty high, making my memory very fuzzy. Where's CM when we need him?
    DIODES!!! Yes!!! That's what I was thinking of earlier tonight... man, if your memory wasn't fuzzy and you weren't high, I'm pretty sure you would NOT have remembered that shit. You ARE the man!

THANKS!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Not only might you damage one or both of the devices, but you will probably get some un-wanted noises w/o a switch.

BTW, no formal training on my end, so I might be full of too.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    If you had a regular Y, wouldn't it just run both signals into the aux input? Isn't that what you're looking for, William? I've got one around here somewhere... if I cand find it, I'll try it.

Make sure that if you gove him a Y that it is chrome to match the rest of the car.

PS I hear that chrome makes everything sound better anyway
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07