Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Express Check-in for SCCA

Default Express Check-in for SCCA

What are you guys doing for the preferred worker assignments this year for SCCA???

I need to mail in the check, just seeing where the other Miata peeps may be this season.

If you haven't done it already and plan to runb the full season with SCCA take a peek at this deal.

Mick

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I will again this year be stylin' in my prettybrite yellow cap, and working like a madman even when I am on the course - ahem...
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I asked for
    • - 1st Choice: Timing and Scoring (Computer) - first heat
      - 2nd Choice: Registration
      - 3rd Choice: Any corner - first heat
    We'll see what I get...

There doesn't seem to be any benefit to asking for anything more specific, like "working whatever corner so-and-so is working in". POS and I tried that last year, both asking to work with the other, and we ended up working different corners. They probably knew better than to put us in the same corner...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I asked for
    • - 1st Choice: Timing and Scoring (Computer) - first heat
      - 2nd Choice: Registration
      - 3rd Choice: Any corner - first heat
    We'll see what I get...
    Hey Worker Chief Dude I recall hearing we don't get to pick what heat we run anymore in SCCA. Are they officially going to a rotating class structure?

I noted on the form there is not a place to select which heat you want to work just was assignment you would like to work.

I don't think you could pick what heat you got to work in last year, either... Pre-reg will get you toward the early heats, though...

The first event will be on rotating runs by class. What happens the rest of the season depends upon what happens on 3/21.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I don't think you could pick what heat you got to work in last year, either...
    Well, I worked first heat corner 3 at every event last year. I'm fairly sure you were assigned both a "station" and a heat... otherwise, what's the use in pre-registering for the year? Not having to rush to stand in line (you had to be near the front or risk having to work 2nd heat ) was the only real reason to pre-reg.

Pre-reg will get you toward the early heats, though...
    Well Mr. Worker chief Sir are you going to get all the pre-register names and requested work assignments and assign those positions?

Did I mention you are the best worker chief the Texas Region has ever had!

Can you explain what this means.
    ...rotating runs by class...
    Because if you have assigned worker positions it can blow that idea completely. It is something that would take a lot of planing. It would also mean your worker position could change from event to event?????

The last likely plan discussed was as follows:

1st heat: Jr. Karts (+ some cars - this is where it gets hairy and I'm staying out of the arguing)
    2nd - 4th heats: Groups A, B & C where groups are roughly A=Stock & SP, B=Mod and Prepared, C=STS, STX, SM, SM2
    5th heat: Novice

All your runs occur in one heat of the five. You work one heat of the five. So yes, you probably wouldn't have the same work assignment every time unless you were assigned to work heat 5. Based on my read of the board, I wouldn't lose any sleep on this, as there is a contingent determined to make this plan fail.

If you are interested in seeing this plan succeed, please be sure to attend the next SCCA Solo II meeting on Tuesday, March 2 at the Super 8 Motel in Grapevine, Hwy 121 at Main Street.

The last likely plan discussed was as follows:

1st heat: Jr. Karts (+ some cars - this is where it gets hairy and I'm staying out of the arguing)
    2nd - 4th heats: Groups A, B & C where groups are roughly A=Stock & SP, B=Mod and Prepared, C=STS, STX, SM, SM2
    5th heat: Novice

All your runs occur in one heat of the five. You work one heat of the five. So yes, you probably wouldn't have the same work assignment every time unless you were assigned to work heat 5. Based on my read of the board, I wouldn't lose any sleep on this, as there is a contingent determined to make this plan fail.

If you are interested in seeing this plan succeed, please be sure to attend the next SCCA Solo II meeting on Tuesday, March 2 at the Super 8 Motel in Grapevine, Hwy 121 at Main Street.
    Thanks for the clarification tailchaser. I like the idea of running all your runs in one heat with the others in your class. And if folks would only have to work one of the other sessions, it wouldn't really matter to me which session I worked as long as it was either right before, or right after running. The two things I (and I'm sure just about everyone else) want to avoid are:
    • - Splitting my runs up too much (like happens if you run 1st heat, work 2nd heat, run 3rd heat at ER events), and
      - Having to sit around all day with nothing to do (like would happen if you worked heat 1 and then didn't run until heat 4 or 5).
    Don't have those two things, and it could be a great idea.

BTW, I've added all the SCCA Solo 2 Meetings to the dfwmiata.com calendar.

I guess I will comment more on this since I have been there tried that, concept. A couple of years ago I tried to force that concept on ER events. As such, I was in-charge to make it happen. It was based somewhat on the Houston region heat system. The eventual goal was to have a two event concept like they have in Houston. A morning event and a afternoon event. The idea was that you would not have to be there all day. The classes rotated each event so a class like CS would not always have to run in the heat of the afternoon for each event.

So the heat/class list was created based on the previous years attendance. The concept was to have 4 to 5 heats. Well it happened that the turn out only allowed 2-3 heats and the class mix always got scrambled at the last minute to make it work. But the biggest problem we found was the quality of the corner working. We no longer had someone at each corner that knew what they where doing. It also made it hard to make sure everyone worked. (not saying that can't happen now)

Everyone seemed to like the concept but we also saw people where not happy how it worked. For example a lot of people wanted to work a corner with a spouse or a friend. It was not normally novice friendly in that respect. You invite a friend out to compete but you may never get to see them during the event because of the class they run in.

So I am not saying it can't be done because it obviously works at Divisional event and other clubs around the country. But you have to be prepared to hear people grumble when they don't like the work assignment they are getting. I personally found I liked talking to people in other classes but I would never get to communicate with them how they are doing or what they learned while out on course.

I bring this up more because many on this fourm have offered to be worker chiefs. You will be the ones hearing people complain and want their position changed at the last minute.

So in conclusion it works just fine if the turn out matches the heat requirements. It also has to have a good class mixing. ER adjusted the program after each event and could never get it just right.

Houston's class worker/heat assignment list.http://www.houscca.com/solo2/2004order.html

Since it is rumored the region is going to switch to AXware timing program it has a heat layout program. Maybe they can manage things with that program. Again my experience says not. But I will be happy to say I was wrong.

We have a strong Houston influence leading the SCCA Solo II bunch this year... We'll see what happens.

As far as worker chief's, it looks like we have 4. Hopefully between the 4 of us, our pants will be thick enough to endure the chewing. I hope.

I sure hope it works out! I liked it when ER tried to run that way, but I realize it's a nightmare to administer. I will not be one of the grumblers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    I sure hope it works out! I liked it when ER tried to run that way, but I realize it's a nightmare to administer. I will not be one of the grumblers!
    I liked ER's setup also!

If I recall correctly the classes would rotate unlike the Houston setup where ES would never run at the same time as CS, I'd miss you guys.

Hey Mark52 how are you feeling???

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    . . . If I recall correctly the classes would rotate unlike the Houston setup where ES would never run at the same time as CS, I'd miss you guys.
    We'll do lunch

I did one regional, and this is the way they did it. I loved it and asked at the next meeting why we did it differently at the local level. "Never work" is all the answer I got.

I sure hope it works, and I will do everything I can to help it work.

If you like this idea (or even if you don't), PLEASE show up at the meeting on Tuesday, March 2nd. Your input is extremely important. There are some loud "It wil never work" voices. Mr. Ramey is loud, but I'm not sure he can be loud enough by himself.

If you like this idea (or even if you don't), PLEASE show up at the meeting on Tuesday, March 2nd. Your input is extremely important. There are some loud "It wil never work" voices. Mr. Ramey is loud, but I'm not sure he can be loud enough by himself.
    What is Mr. Ramey plan, is it Status Quo, or does he offer an alternative plan?

I’m not so sure I like the Novices at the end ideal, is designed to facilitate less novice participation?

Novices at the end ensures two things...

1: They can ride along before they run and they get to work the course to see how things work before they run
    2: There's no potential for griping that "instructors" get a free look at the course if they ride with a novice at the end

Novices at the end ensures two things...

1: They can ride along before they run and they get to work the course to see how things work before they run
    2: There's no potential for griping that "instructors" get a free look at the course if they ride with a novice at the end
    Sounds OK for a Novices first event, but what about his 6th of the season, would this not create the potential for a really long day for anyone with an "N" on their car??

We already have cases where folks (Novice or Not) will bail early because of boredom or fear wouldn't his escalate the potential??

Just playing the part of the Devils advocate.

BTW. You didn’t answer my other question if Mr. Ramey plan offered an alternative plan? Or does he want to stick with Status Quo?

The last available SCCA "regional addendum" apparently states that Novices are out of the pool after they trophy the first time... Obviously, novice rules used by Texas Region the last 2 years more closely resembled ER's novice rules, but may revert to the printed rules this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast