Thread: shocks and springs

Default shocks and springs

Car came with FM springs and KYB shocks. Ride seems soft for the track. Any recommendations?

Spec Miata setup
    Tein Flex with higher spring rates in the front
    Koni Race with Ground Control coilovers

I had no complaints with my Flex coilovers on track or at the autocrosses.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

KW Variant 3 if they make it for the car.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Spring rates? 500F/300R? Where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Spring rates? 500F/300R? Where to buy?
    The Ground Controls can be ordered through Track Dog Racing or Flyin Miata in just about whatever rate you want. The SPEC Miatas use Ground Controls in 700F/325R but I have heard that is less than ideal. Track Dog Racing also sells the Tein line and can get it in whatever rates you want. He has sets on all his cars and loves to demo them.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Car came with FM springs and KYB shocks. Ride seems soft for the track. Any recommendations?

I picked up the Koni RACE shocks and GC 700/450 for my 1.6 and had Gary set it up for me. Big front bar and stock on the back. Azenis tires.

I originally went with that as an STS2 setup, but found it works great on the track. Too much fun at Hallett.

I'm not sure, but I think a dedicated track setup may call for less rate in the back. If I was to set up a dedicated track car, I'd be giving the Flex with 9/7 a close look. Talk to Gary.

SA

I ran my Flex with 9kg F/6kg R (around 500/330) with stock valving, RB front bar and no rear bar. I was told that was about high as you should go up front without revalving. The car was definitely streetable with the damping turned down. I know you like fancy shocks so even though Shaik at Fat Cat Motorsports found that they performed really well on the shock dyno, they are only single adjustable (one knob for compression and rebound together). Tein has some other options that are double adjustable and monotube in construction.

Gary is your best bet for purchasing Tein products locally.

One more thing to check out if you want to get a really nice suspension:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=247621
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

If money is no object, I'd suggest the 949Racing Teins or Ohlins DFV from Goodwin Racing.

If you're on a budget, a set of Tein Flex with custom rates through Gary, or a set of Koni Race dampers and GC coilover sleeves with your choice of rates.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    If money is no object, I'd suggest the 949Racing Teins or Ohlins DFV from Goodwin Racing.

If you're on a budget, a set of Tein Flex with custom rates through Gary, or a set of Koni Race dampers and GC coilover sleeves with your choice of rates.
    One good thing about Teins vs. GC is that you don't have to worry about buying rear shock mounts for more shock travel. The Flex kit lets you go as low as you could possibly want with full suspension travel.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Ya may also want to talk to NealB he has a track Miata that he has had some work done on.

I've got a set of Tein Flex's for sale..........
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Thanks for the input. Built my own. Bilstein HD, F: 500lbs 7", R: 325lbs 8", FCM mounts.