Thread: How important is the tire speed rating?

Default How important is the tire speed rating?

For street use, are Z rated tires that much different from H rated tires?

I have a friend who insists that they buy Z rated tires for their "sports" car (Mustang). So I was just curious how much difference it really makes.

What I found showed H rated 130 mph for top speed and Z rated 149 for top speed.

I'm no tire expert, but I believe the ratings only come into effect if there are sustained high speeds, like 130-140 mph. At normal highway speeds, there is no real difference. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Ohs noes!!! You could teh explode!!!!!!!!

I think the speed ratings are mostly there so the #$*(#( at National Discount Tire Warehouse Rack can scare you into an upsell.

We "sports" car nuts generally tend to prefer stickier tires over the tire's ability to withstand sustained high speed operation. The tires we pick generally tend to be speed rated, though.

If you want to give them grief, point out that there Z rated tires are inferior because they are just "A" rather than "AA" traction rated... That'll be good for a laugh.

Extra credit: Anyone know without googling how the traction rating is measured? Hint... you won't be impressed...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Extra credit: Anyone know without googling how the traction rating is measured? Hint... you won't be impressed...
    By the tires ability to stop?

There are some design differences in the higher rated tires, but nothing that would make a difference at "normal" speeds. Tread patterns are a much more significant thing to look at. Lower rated tires typically have larger tread blocks to channel water whereas high rated tires have smaller and more connected tread blocks that do not squirm so much, thus not generating as much heat, which is a tires enema....or is that enemy :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The speed ratings also are an indicator of the load ratings. I had a car come into work the other day with the wrong speed rating on a large car so the tires looked half flat yet they had the correct tire pressure...that is if they had the correct tires. But yeah, for the most part they are a moot point for average cars. A higher speed rating means stronger construction, yaddayada.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...