Thread: Nice "starter" home theater speakers....

Default Nice "starter" home theater speakers....

Some decent speaker are on sale at on woot.com. Sellout.woot.com has the matching center. Although inexpensive, they are good sounding and will produce THX spl of sound (105 db peak). All you would need is the mains and a sub.

I've had Klipsch in the past and really like them (six or seven pairs).
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

What are your feelings on the need to match Surround speakers to the rest of your system? I have a set of Paradigm Monitor 7s, A Paradigm Monitor Center, and a Paradigm PS-1000 Sub, but I never got the surrounds to match. Is it worth spending the money on the matching surrounds, or would I be OK with something like these Klipsch on Woot?

Titus,

My system is a collection ranging from B&O, AR, Phase Technologies, and Advent. As long as all are good quality speakers I see no problems with mixing things up.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

no problems with mix and match systems in my past, the last 10 years though i have had matching speakers but never the same reciever as the speakers for whatever reason.

i would eventually like to get some yamaha surround sound speakers to go with my head unit though....i loves me some yamaha.
    99 Miata Black

I have ran them with other cheap speakers as surrounds (JBL Bookshelfs) and it sounded OK.

I'm going to avoid the impulse buy on these and wait till I am really ready to do something. I guess I'm just wondering if/when I decide to get some nice surrounds, is it worth focusing on getting paradigms, or should I get the best surround speaker I can find for the money I'm willing to spend.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Since these are basically just 'filler' speakers, I don't think they are as critical as the mains, center and sub.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Since these are basically just 'filler' speakers, I don't think they are as critical as the mains, center and sub.
    That was my thought when I bought the rest of the stuff. I couldn't see spending another $800 on filler speakers (besides having blown my budget at the time on the rest of the set), but I have questioned my decision from time to time since then.

Well I spend WAY TO MUCH ON MY THEATER. (20k and still not finished ) I have matching M&K speakers all the way around. (three S-150P up front and four SS-150 towers and a custom sub with four 15" drivers) I agree that although not necessary, it is better. For a system that is under about 1k you never hear the difference.

Paradigm, nice. I have a pair of Signature S8 with Mcintosh for my two channel setup.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    Well I spend WAY TO MUCH ON MY THEATER. (20k and still not finished ) I have matching M&K speakers all the way around. (three S-150P up front and four SS-150 towers and a custom sub with four 15" drivers) I agree that although not necessary, it is better. For a system that is under about 1k you never hear the difference.

Paradigm, nice. I have a pair of Signature S8 with Mcintosh for my two channel setup.
    And why have we not been invited over for movie night at your house????

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    And why have we not been invited over for movie night at your house????
    For one thing, I still living in my "barn". We are starting on our new house in about 2 weeks. This time for real!!! After its built I'm going to have a big ol party!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    We are starting on our new house in about 2 weeks. This time for real!!! After its built I'm going to have a big ol party!!!
    For as long as I have known you, you have been 2 weeks away from starting that house!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    For as long as I have known you, you have been 2 weeks away from starting that house!
    Oh this?

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...ighlight=house

This time is for real, I promise. I like being married.