Thread: NA carpet question

Default NA carpet question

I'm taking a break from tearing my tan carpet out of my 92 right now.

There's a lot of foam in there, along with a big rubber piece on the deck. Is all of that necessary? If not, I'm going to leave it out and just reinstall carpet. I'm not too worried about noise since it's no longer my daily driver.

As for the reinstall, I'm going to go the easy way and not remove the dash... I think it'll be a lot simpler. Anything I should know or do before continuing?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

The insulation reduced heat and noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The insulation reduced heat and noise.
    YES! Yank it out then go drive your car around for an hour. The extra noise is cool for about 15 minutes...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

That much, huh...

Guess I'll leave it in. All the tan carpet is out, and I'm debating whether to go ahead and install the black or wait. Eh, I'll probably go ahead and do it. What the heck.

MAN, I had no idea my stereo wiring is so screwed up... it's a total mess in there. Plus my drivers side headrest speaker wiring looks like TOTAL crap. The passenger side has a quick-connect, but the drivers side doesn't...???

I may need the whole thing rewired.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    MAN, I had no idea my stereo wiring is so screwed up... it's a total mess in there. Plus my drivers side headrest speaker wiring looks like TOTAL crap. The passenger side has a quick-connect, but the drivers side doesn't...???

I may need the whole thing rewired.
    You bought those from me. When I bought them new, the wiring had no quick disconnects for the seats. I added it for the diver's side so I could swap seats for the track. I never bothered putting one in the passenger side. It sounds like you swapped sides when you installed them.

You bought those from me. When I bought them new, the wiring had no quick disconnects for the seats. I added it for the diver's side so I could swap seats for the track. I never bothered putting one in the passenger side. It sounds like you swapped sides when you installed them.
    Er... actually, I never got around to installing the Clearwater speakers or the wiring harness you gave me with them. They're still sitting forlornly in the box.

I'm talking about the regular speaker disconnect under the seat... I don't remember where the one you gave me would be located when installed. The wiring there is totally messed up... looks like the regular wiring but pulled out of the connector??

Weird. Well, looks like some audio shop is going to make some money
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

That much, huh...

Guess I'll leave it in. All the tan carpet is out, and I'm debating whether to go ahead and install the black or wait. Eh, I'll probably go ahead and do it. What the heck.
    Yeah, when I installed the top I got from Titus, I pulled that rear deck carpet and pad out to let it dry - and it was surprisingly loud. I ended up junking that padding because it was so rotten, but kept the rubber mat. That and the carpet seem to mostly do the trick. One of these days I'll get around to lining that area (and maybe more) with some Damplifier.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Er... actually, I never got around to installing the Clearwater speakers or the wiring harness you gave me with them. They're still sitting forlornly in the box.

I'm talking about the regular speaker disconnect under the seat... I don't remember where the one you gave me would be located when installed. The wiring there is totally messed up... looks like the regular wiring but pulled out of the connector??

Weird. Well, looks like some audio shop is going to make some money
    I might be willing to install the speakers you got from me and fix your wiring problems in trade for something. Would you be willing to get my gas RC boat up and running in exchange for the audio work? Or if you perfect your claybar and waxing skills on your Teg, I might take a clay bar and wax job in exchange for the work.

Carpet is done! And it turned out better than I expected. Took 4 hours including breaks and a trip to Autozone for carpet fasteners and Goop. Now my entire interior is black except the seatbelts (I would have changed them out, but I can't find the black ones ChannelManiac gave me ) and door panels. I'll blast the door panels with some paint to fix that until I redo the vinyl.

All I need now is to source some OEM-style black carpet for when I remove the center console. Anybody got a piece?

I might take a wax job in exchange for the work.
    Brazilian or bikini?

I can try to work on the boat... I haven't worked on one before, but they can't be too much different than planes (and I've been doing that for well over half my life). I'd probably need to take it home, though... might take a while if I need to get parts, etc. Sounds good though. Maybe I can pick the boat up at a Wednesday meet?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Carpet is done! And it turned out better than I expected. Took 4 hours including breaks and a trip to Autozone for carpet fasteners and Goop. Now my entire interior is black except the seatbelts (I would have changed them out, but I can't find the black ones ChannelManiac gave me ) and door panels. I'll blast the door panels with some paint to fix that until I redo the vinyl.

All I need now is to source some OEM-style black carpet for when I remove the center console. Anybody got a piece?

Brazilian or bikini?

I can try to work on the boat... I haven't worked on one before, but they can't be too much different than planes (and I've been doing that for well over half my life). I'd probably need to take it home, though... might take a while if I need to get parts, etc. Sounds good though. Maybe I can pick the boat up at a Wednesday meet?
    Sure... Let me see if I can get some pics of the state of things so you know what you would be getting into before committing.

Sure... Let me see if I can get some pics of the state of things so you know what you would be getting into before committing.
    Sure thing.

I just took my Miata for a drive... it feels good to have time to work on my stuff without worrying about a job for a change.

Of course, I'm going to be in a hurt when my money runs out, but who cares
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata