Thread: another damn Miata owner

Default another damn Miata owner

Hi Folks, just checking in. Thanks Lauren for sending the info. Just picked up a new Mazda Speed Miata at Hiley last night. The deals on new were just too good to pass up.
    Long time autocrosser, longtime SCCA member, longtime car enthusiast, long time living, (61 but like to think those characters are reversed sometimes) and enjoy just about anything automotive related. I live nort of Fort Worth in the hamlet of Haslet, or just outside of it anyway at Lonesome Dove estates. New car is velocity red, with the red/black cloth seats. Wanted the leather, but all the leather cars they had were scratched by vandals, so I settled for the cloth...it's growing on me.
    Anyway, I know several of you already from various club events in the area, and hope to get to meet more of you...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Be careful claiming to know me, Phil... I'm starting to get in trouble for bringing in the riff-raff...

Congrats on the MazdaSpeed! I'm sure the Miatas will be even MORE popular when they start winning BS, too!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

WooHoo!!!

Welcome to the zoomzoom Mr. Osborne. I'm just glad your's is FI in case you ever choose to AX it!

Hal
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Hey Phil, welcome to the insanity!

Is this your first Miata? If so, just wait until the mod bug bites!

That MSM is sure nice!

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Default Re: another damn Miata owner

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Osborne
    Hi Folks, just checking in. Thanks Lauren for sending the info. Just picked up a new Mazda Speed Miata at Hiley last night. The deals on new were just too good to pass up.
    Long time autocrosser, longtime SCCA member, longtime car enthusiast, long time living, (61 but like to think those characters are reversed sometimes) and enjoy just about anything automotive related. I live nort of Fort Worth in the hamlet of Haslet, or just outside of it anyway at Lonesome Dove estates. New car is velocity red, with the red/black cloth seats. Wanted the leather, but all the leather cars they had were scratched by vandals, so I settled for the cloth...it's growing on me.
    Anyway, I know several of you already from various club events in the area, and hope to get to meet more of you...
    Welcome to the board.... Now there's two of us MSM guys here...

That and you're a couple miles from me.. I live right East of Alliance Airport

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome Phil and congrats on the new MSM! Good choice with the red by the way!

Welcome to the board, Phil, and congrats on the new MSM!

I hope I was able to answer a few of your question on the Evo list, and I look forward to seeing what an MSM can do in the hands of a good driver. We can't tell anything from rx7gslse's performances, 'cause he's always too hung over on race days. :P

BTW, you'll be glad you didn't choose the black leather come next summer - black leather, convertibles, and North Texas sun are a bad combination.

So what's going to happen to the Neon?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Welcome to the board, Phil, and congrats on the new MSM!

I hope I was able to answer a few of your question on the Evo list, and I look forward to seeing what an MSM can do in the hands of a good driver. We can't tell anything from rx7gslse's performances, 'cause he's always too hung over on race days. :P

BTW, you'll be glad you didn't choose the black leather come next summer - black leather, convertibles, and North Texas sun are a bad combination.

So what's going to happen to the Neon?
    stupid storm messin up my internet..

anyway, I said "HEY! "

and I'll probably end up running the 7 for most autoX events next year.. cheaper and more fun...

Besides, if Phil is gonna be in my class, I'm already screwed. :)

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah, I WANT to autox it, and probably will, but not till next season. I will need wheels, tires, bar,...you guys know the drill... It's been awhile since I ran a rear drive car in autox, so it may take some time. As for the Neon, I am going to rebuild the engine over the winter and try it again in the spring for a couple of events. If I keep getting toasted my the Civics, it will go to the back of the garage and covered for awhile. I'm kind of attatched to the damn thing since buying it new in 94, one of the first of 182 ACR sedans built with 0 options other than Competition Pkg. The suspension, wheels, camber plates, coilovers, etc. cost more than the car is worth, so I couldn't expect to sell it for much.
    I can tell you this though, I have only driven the MSM for about 60 miles since picking it up last night, but it is a hoot to drive. I swear the suspension is as hard as the Neon with 550lb springs! But that's ok, my old butt can handle it. I thought about bringing it to MW next weekend, but then again, it IS new, and I hate to get stone chips on it this quickly.
    I will probably co drive with Wayne Atkins, the guy who bought my old Civic Si...
    Good group here guys. I read most of the welcome posts, back to June anyway, and like how you guys run things much better than the Neon group...
    OzCop
    MSM

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Be careful claiming to know me, Phil... I'm starting to get in trouble for bringing in the riff-raff...
    Yea geez, Tailchaser where did you find this kid!

Welcome to our little piece of heaven Mr. Osborne!

Welcome, Phil! Can't wait to see you racing the MSM! If anyone can make one of those babies go fast on an autocross course, its YOU!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Welcome Phil. I've had to drive against you a few times in STS (The one and only white 94 celica in STS). I can't wait to see what your MSM can do!

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

Hey welcome to the insanity , next thing you know you will want it to go even faster , I test drove one the other day, not shabby, needs some small refinements and it would be absolutely perfect( MORE MODS!!!) but as said before congrats on the mazda speed.

rory

more boost... :P
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

You guys give me way too much credit in the driving department, but thanks anyway. After driving the car another 70 miles or so today, I find myself liking it even more. It does need a few things, especially in the engine managment system as in being able to rev higher than 6500. However, it is torquey even in third, so mastering the shifting cycle for specific courses will be a challenge. I have gotten some good numbers for alignment settings and hope to take care of that part of it during the off season, along with a few componets like wheels, tires, shocks, and front bar. Rob Faulkner, a name recognizable by most of you guys who autox nationally, has given me some information, and is in the process of selling his MSM because he thinks his Porsche 968 will be the better car for B Stock. He has some of the stuff I mentioned above and I may buy a portion or all of it, price dependant. Anyway, looking forward to seeing several of you guys at Mineral Wells this weekend. Remember, it's a two day, two event weekend, so plan to come for both days.
    OzCop
    MSM

It was great to see you at TMS as well. Marc cameron told me your car was really beautiful. Glad you are liking it. Hope to see ya sunday.

Dan
    Dan Hill
    Spec Miata