Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Solstice Targa debuts at New York Auto Show

Default 2009 Solstice Targa debuts at New York Auto Show

NEW YORK – Drawing inspiration from classic sports cars, the 2009 Pontiac Solstice coupe was created for drivers who appreciate both dramatic styling and balanced performance. Unveiled at the New York Auto Show as a GXP model, the Solstice coupe builds on the success of the convertible model while offering a greater range of all-season driving opportunities.

For drivers still wanting an open-air experience, the coupe also features a removable roof panel, fully opening the cockpit to all of the sensations of the road.

"Today's Solstice is the top-selling roadster in the U.S., and we believe this new model has even broader appeal," said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. "The coupe has all the design cues and pleasing performance of the original roadster, and is an all-season alternative for people who enjoy open-air driving."

The coupe is expected to arrive in Pontiac dealerships in early 2009.

The making of a coupe

The new coupe was inspired by the Solstice coupe concept shown at the North American International Auto Show in 2002. True to the concept, it is a modern sports car with classic lines. The roofline has a "fastback" shape with stylized "rails" that run from the front of the roof to the rear, culminating in a stylish and functional ducktail-style rear spoiler.

The coupe's roof is fixed aft of the B-pillars, with side windows and a rear liftglass for access to the cargo area. The roof panel is easily removed from the passenger compartment, and an optional soft roof cover stores in the cargo area. A home storage case for the roof panel will be offered through GM Accessories.

Engineering the design

Despite its dramatic new look, engineers made only minor structural changes to create the Solstice coupe. The rear fenders and rear fascia are the same as those on the convertible. New taillight assemblies flow more smoothly into the tapered roofline.

"The Solstice coupe represents a major collaboration of design and engineering," said Bruce Kosbab, chief engineer. "The sleek lines of the new roof give the car a fresh appearance, yet only minimal changes were made to the body structure – it's a great example of building on an already solid foundation."

Lightweight structure

The roof's structure was strengthened with additional support elements, including an aluminum roof bow attached with aluminum brackets. The bow and brackets are stiff, yet low in mass, a design feature that pervades the coupe's overall construction. The roof includes a lightweight sheet molding compound cover affixed to a rigid aluminum frame for additional lightweight support. A lightweight magnesium roof panel frame weighs just 31 pounds (14.2 kg) and can be removed by one person. The cover is also made of sheet molding compound.

Powertrain and suspension

Because the change to a coupe body style resulted in only a slight increase in curb weight, no drivetrain or suspension changes were necessary to shift from the convertible body structure. Initial tests have shown that the Solstice coupe will deliver ride and handling, acceleration, braking and fuel economy comparable to the convertible model.

The coupe is powered by a standard 2.4L Ecotec four-cylinder engine that generates 173 horsepower (129 kW), while the GXP version is equipped with a 2.0L turbocharged Ecotec engine with 260 horsepower (194 kW).

Interior additions

Much of the coupe's interior remains the same as that of the convertible. However, the area behind the seats was redesigned for easy access to the cargo area, and a storage tray was mounted directly behind the headrests.
    Removing the folding-top mechanism made way for a new, flat cargo floor and several storage compartments. The cargo area's covered bins provide secure storage for smaller items. Cargo tie-down hooks help secure irregularly shaped items.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Wow... Just wow.

A few months ago I would have thought my Fiero would be the only Pontiac I would ever own.

The recent GTO just didnt do it for me... sure it was fast but meh.

Now Pontiac has the G8 and this beauty... Bravo GM!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

meh. Looks like the ugly mutant offspring of a Jag and a Bimmer Shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Bimmer Shoe.
    One of my favorite cars of all time...

I like it, but much like the Solstice roadster, it could have been a lot better. Storage space is still marginal at best, access to the storage area is awkward, the targa top can't be stored on-board, and there is no increase in structural rigidity over the roadster.

Looks like that would be a costly hardtop to run over
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I like that look a lot better than the soft-top look. But the front end still looks kind of cheesey.
    Blah blah blah!

Is it just me, or does it look an awfully lot like the BMW Z4 Coupe?

Just as ugly as ever... can't really polish a turd.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I like the look of the side & back, but that front is kinda...meh.

Someone care to 'chop a Sky front end on there? I might like it more that way.

On the whole, though, I'd drive one and not be sad about it.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I'll never buy a GM product, may be except the new Z06. I have to say I like this better than the NC Miata!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    I like the look of the side & back, but that front is kinda...meh.

Someone care to 'chop a Sky front end on there? I might like it more that way.

On the whole, though, I'd drive one and not be sad about it.
    I read that they have no plans to make a Sky coupe.

Looks pretty cool... AND it looks like you might actually be able to see out the back of it. I could see driving one of those with that little turbo 4...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

it does clean up the back end a lot nicer than the soft top
    07 civic si sedan -- the new toy
    92 miata-dead 85 VF500F, 01 750 Ace Deluxe
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()
    - gus gus and gidget -- birds - stewie & Libby

Might I also point out that it looks as if the trunk is not usable anymore.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    The rear glass is hinged.

Much, much better looking than the covertible!

I wonder what the price point will be?
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

Maybe your right. I didn't do any research on the car; but from the picture I can't see any lines that look like it opens.
    Blah blah blah!

Maybe your right. I didn't do any research on the car; but from the picture I can't see any lines that look like it opens.
    I saw a pic in another article that had it open. Regardless, there still is very little space back there and the space that is there is awkwardly shaped and hard to access.

Okay for one... If your buying this your not worried about trunk space.
    Two I'd pimp it over the NC any day.
    But if I want a fastback I'll pimp this over all of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast