Thread: Reasons for a rollbar at track days....

Default Reasons for a rollbar at track days....

Reasons for a rollbar at track days.....(enlarge to 200% for better viewing)

11 SECOND VIDEO

Not sure if it's a repost here, but I've seen it several places. Something like that should never EVER happen at a track day. Lapping at speed with controlled passing is lot different than wheel to wheel racing.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    Not sure if it's a repost here, but I've seen it several places. Something like that should never EVER happen at a track day. Lapping at speed with controlled passing is lot different than wheel to wheel racing.
    It's a re-post. Just thought we needed to see it....you know, the whole 'scared-straight' idea. Track days are serious days.

If you didn't have a full cage in the car with that kind of a roll I figure you'd be dead anyhow......

More info : http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimat...pic/27/10.html

That's what you'd think, but there is at least one member on this board (who will remain nameless) who has been involved in car-to-car contact at a lapping day.

Come to think of it, probably a full 50% of the open track events I've gone to over the last five years have had at least one car go home on a rollback, although usually because of single car accidents. Open lapping is dangerous, which is why my car has a rollbar, 6-point harness, and FIA-homologated seat in it when I'm at one. If and when it ever gets retired from daily driving, that roll bar will likely replaced with a roll cage.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Duh, you guys sure like to beat a dead horse don't you. If you are concerned about doing a track day just keep it off the track. Simple as that!

Also if you are going to run one keep your wits about you and beware of the green cars! :P

You mean the white ones, don't you?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

i know a cagebuilder here that is simply bad@ss.

his work is almost to beautiful to put in a car.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    That's what you'd think, but there is at least one member on this board (who will remain nameless) who has been involved in car-to-car contact at a lapping day.

Come to think of it, probably a full 50% of the open track events I've gone to over the last five years have had at least one car go home on a rollback, although usually because of single car accidents. Open lapping is dangerous, which is why my car has a rollbar, 6-point harness, and FIA-homologated seat in it when I'm at one. If and when it ever gets retired from daily driving, that roll bar will likely replaced with a roll cage.
    I agree. All I was saying is that wheel to wheel racing is a lot different. The only reason it's not a LOT more dangerous is because most of the drivers are at least somewhat good at driving in traffic. Sorry to generalize, but most track day drivers are relatively inexperienced (though not all). The chance of a big crash goes up 10x in a competitive environment.

After you have been doing this for a while, you kind of learn that in lapping sessions a pass is just a pass. Nothing to trade paint over. Once you get out of the beginner classes, the more advanced drivers know how to handle themselves on course.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

True, but racing is a very different story.