Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air Intake for M2's?

Default Cold Air Intake for M2's?

so far i have not seen a true cold air for an M2 (one that actually takes air from somewhere not next to the farkin exhaust manifold). anyone know of one that i have not seen?

i think i'll just break down and make one with some piping i have, just wondered if there was something already made so i don't have to. i did notice that there is enough wiring on the AFM to relocate it just about anywhere in the engine compartment....
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

The stock airbox pulls air from the right front wheelwell, iirc.

You might look for the Randall Cowl Intake - although this does require cutting thie firewall, it pulls ambient, high-pressure air from the base of the windshield. Hard to measure gains on a dyno (since it requires significant airflow over the car to be truly effective), but the theory is sound.

Combine it with a Track Dog Racing header blanket, and you'd probably have some noticeable gains, depending on how well calibrated your butt dyno is.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of true cold air intakes on street-driven cars, but that's because I've known more than one person who has hydrolocked an engine due to one (and poor decision making skills ).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

i'm not really looking to put the intake any lower than just below the head lights, which means i might be putting it about 12 inches above the driving surface-just under the headlight. i would have to drive thru low water crossings to get hydro-lock. my car sits low enough that at that point i'd have more issues with being swept away than anything

we've found (on spec cars anyway) that there is a ton of air restriction with the stock air tubing (the accordion style flex parts in particular). but since we're not allowed to change that, we just get to play with air flow before the AFM. we are taking a few of the cars (1.6's) to the dyno this week to test the SPinduction (made here in Ft. Worth). most of the other Spec Miata shops found at least 4 more HP with this setup.
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

What the heck is a Spinduction? Is that like a Tornado?

I'd love to see some before and after dyno plots form one of those things.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Thorage327
    Spinduction

Hmmm...

My '03 has a snorkel off one side of the airbox that points over to the driver's side wheel well where there are vents to pull air up into the engine compartment from under the well.

I'd classify that as not pulling from next to the exhaust

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

SP Induction systems.
    www.spinductionsystems.com

i dont know the pricing on these, we were told somehting else than on the website...
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

it is aluminum and is ceramic coated so it resists heat and is nice and pretty.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Purty... Any chance of an '02+ version designed to suck air from the wheel well like the stock box?

that question towards us?
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Purty... Any chance of an '02+ version designed to suck air from the wheel well like the stock box?
    That I don't know... but if works on a 1.6 it will work on my Rx7! :)

we have access to them
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

If ya need an NB model to play with for designing a new intake to fit over by the wheel well where the cold air comes in on the new models, let me know...

I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for a redesign.

I have a 2003.

Raymond

can you get a pic of the engine bay? ide like to see the diff between the m2 and m2.5's
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Here you go!

i wonder if that fstb will fit an m1? i dont see why it wouldnt....
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

FWIW, I had my intake over under the pass headlight, just used some piping and cut a hole under the headlight for the pipe. I killed my MAS with water vapor though. Now I have an ebay special $30 now. I am thinking about going back to stock though...

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    FWIW, I had my intake over under the pass headlight, just used some piping and cut a hole under the headlight for the pipe. I killed my MAS with water vapor though. Now I have an ebay special $30 now. I am thinking about going back to stock though...
    OK... is it OVER the headlight or UNDER the headlight?

(I take a left, right?)

"You want that in, correct?"

it was over on the side, underneath the headlight...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast