Thread: The family car

Default The family car

Our family car has been a Mazda6 that we purchased in 2003. It's been a great cruiser ang got a decent 25mpg, but not great, and is about to turn 100K miles. At some point in the last year, Shelley decided that she would give it to her son when he turns sixteen. That fateful date is sometime in August.......... So, it was time to start looking for a replacement, and she had some very specific requirements. Since she also had the Mini, which she loved, it had to be FUN, manual transmission, hatchback, but with four doors, and at least 30mpg. That really limited the choices, but that was good.

We had a Toyota Matrix rental car on our last trip to PA, and it was pretty close to what she wanted, so it went on the list, followed by a Mazda3, Saturn Astra, Kia Spectra5, Scion xD, and a few more that didn't fit yet another requirement. No American cars......... As the dutiful husband that I am, I did my Edmunds research and learned some interesting things.

As you might guess, my first choice would have been the Mazda3, especially with S Plan pricing, BUT, the 5-door version only comes with the 2.3L which isn't the greatest on gas. We went and looked anyway. Nice car, but only one at the dealership that wasn't a MazdaSpeed, and it had leather, MP3/IPOD/XYZ stuff that us old folks don't care about, and a sunroof. I was happy to hear that Shelley FINALLY agreed on NO leather(hot in summer, cold in winter even with heated seats), and the sunroof would never be used. On top of this, our "salesman", and I use that term loosely, was obnoxious from the get go. We ended up walking out the door.

The Matrix was the most expensive, as virtually everything is an option, which was frustrating. We left it on the list, but didn't go to a dealer. Next was the Spectra, which looked great on paper, but it was a KIA! As we pulled in to the dealership, there were a dozen or so "vultures" milling about the parking lot deciding which one get's the next "victim". We actually got a nice, young gentleman that actually knew the products. He found one close to the criteria and we climbed all over it. We were surprised at the fit & finish, but not nearly so much as the test drive. This car is QUIET! It also handled really well. I rode as a passenger and Shelley drove. She liked it alot.

The Saturn Astra is actually a European Opel, new to the US but has been around Europe for about five years. It was nice! Also quiet, like the Kia, a bit bigger and closer in price to the Mazda3 and Matrix, and the only one with a trip computer. This one was definitetly on the list. It turns out that we never looked at the Scion because it didn't have ABS, even as an option! Also, no disk brakes in the rear, and a tiny 1.5L.

More reseach ensued and we discussed the pros and cons of each and narrowed it to the Saturn and Kia. Both met all the requirements and MSRP was within a couple of hundred dollars. The price was around $17,500 and Shelley had been hoping to do better, so we looked at smaller wagons and sedans but nothing seemed to fit at anything under $16,000. Newspaper ads show cars for $12-14, but they are bare bones. We went back to the Saturn vs Kia.

That was a couple of weeks ago, and we continued talking but nothing really put one above the other......until Saturday. If you've read the "barstool" post, our "work day" on Saturday pretty much fizzled after leaving the emergency room, so we were heading back up 377 toward Cresson, when I see a Kia dealer......in Granbury! I thought it was my turn to do a test drive, and they didn't seem busy. We wandered around the lot for awhile, even looking at the smaller Rio, when we were met a nice gentleman who has been in the car business for over thirty years, actually longer since his dad owned a dealership when he was a kid. Quiet, easy going, no pressure, knows his job and cars, now this is the kind of salesman I like! He got us keys for a RIO hatch and the Spectra, both in orange (Shelley had already chosen the color weeks ago!), but neither was "perfect". No ABS on the Rio and the Spectra had a $700 sun roof, but he had his manager start a search in the SW region to see what he could find.

Oh, did I mention that we looked like a couple of homeless people in our dirty old work clothes. I wasn't expecting to be anywhere but the house so I looked pretty bad. Shelley wasn't quite as bad, but the doctor had given her a pain pill, that made her more silly than normal! Anyway, there were no ABS Rio's and no ABS Spectra's without sunroofs. That eliminated the Rio, so I decided to drive the Spectra anyway. I liked the handling right away!

Being in my old stomping grounds, I knew where the "good" roads are, so I headed for Acton and Fall creek Hwy. For those unfamiliar, this is my normal road to and fro the house and it has some nice Miata curves that I know really well :). My normal speed in Miatas is around 70mph, so I go into the first one at sixty....boring.....more gas, out at sixty-five. I really like it now! Next one in at sixty-five and out at seventy, still solid as a rock and the tires haven't yet started talking to me. Next series all at seventy, then turned around and did it again, this time all at seventy to seventy-two. OK, I'm sold.........

Back at the dealership, the manager says he'll give us a great price and even delete the cost of the sunroof. MSRP was $18,020 plust they had pin-striped it and tnted the windows. With a $1500 rebate and another $500 car show discount, we drove out for $14,977, right in the ballpark of what Shelley had wanted to spend in the first place. No games, no hassle, just an absolutely wonderful experience, and we haven't even paid for it yet! If anyone is ever interested in a Kia, it is worth the trip to Granbury. If you deal with Jay Simons, it will be even better!

One last tidbit......... Since Shelley hurt her shifting hand, I've had to drive it all weekend and to work today
    Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Just out of curiosity... I didn't see the Honda Fit on your list... any reason not?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Congrats! I think I'll go fall off a bar stool and see if someone will buy me a new car.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

It might work!
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Just out of curiosity... I didn't see the Honda Fit on your list... any reason not?
    We really didn't want to go with the tiny cars.........

Congrats!

I'm still not sure about driving a car called a Killed In Action but if you're happy.

I'm surprised you didn't consider the Honda FIT, the MINI Clubman, or Mazda 5 as well.

Dang! I wish I was in the market for a new car. There are a lot of neat cars out there.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Congrats!

I'm still not sure about driving a car called a Killed In Action but if you're happy.

I'm surprised you didn't consider the Honda FIT, the MINI Clubman, or Mazda 5 as well.

Dang! I wish I was in the market for a new car. There are a lot of neat cars out there.
    The Fit is smaller in every way(too much).

I forgot! We did look at the Clubman. The old Mini had NO rear legroom. This one is marginally better, and the price is several thousand higher.

The Mazda5 is an SUV/crossover. Too big, too heavy, too expensive and the bigger engine, just like the Mazda3.

I did my homework, like I said. The only reason the Scion xD was in the list was that Shelley thought the new one was bigger. The xBox was in the same class, but she didn't want a box!

5 star safety rating from NHTA is a definite selling point. I think a Kia is a great value if you don't mind the beating you take in depreciation, but if you plan on taking full advantage of the 10/100K warranty, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    5 star safety rating from NHTA is a definite selling point. I think a Kia is a great value if you don't mind the beating you take in depreciation, but if you plan on taking full advantage of the 10/100K warranty, who cares?
    We're getting close to retirement, so this one will be around for a long time.....

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    We really didn't want to go with the tiny cars.........
    My wife and I went with the Fit, and so far it has proven to be very well sized for our uses.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt. The Fit is actually the largest car I have ever owned by interior volume. The other cars I have owned being an early 80's Accord sedan (though that one wasn't mine, it was my parent's), a 1991 Honda Civic sedan, a 1992 Nissan 240SX, and of course the 2006 Miata. Before the Fit, my wife owned a 1994 Acura Integra.

So yeah, when we went looking for a new car for her that would serve as a future family car, we looked at the fit and said "look at all that space!"

Also, I'm 6'2" and I "fit" behind the front seats with lots of room.
    White n/a '97

Congrats!

I am surprised you didnt look at the VW Rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    Congrats!

I am surprised you didnt look at the VW Rabbit.
    It was outside the parameters:

Engine too big
    EPA less than 30
    steel wheels
    light on storage
    price too high
    no 10y/100k warranty
    no rebates

I think we got the most bang for the buck...........

Toyota Prius?

My brother has one and loves it. Very roomy too.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Toyota Prius?

My brother has one and loves it. Very roomy too.
    We did look at it for 48/45mpg, BUT...........

EXPENSIVE!
    limited rear headroom
    limited rear visability
    tiny tires/poor suspension.

I do love the concept and the technology, though!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    It was outside the parameters:

Engine too big
    EPA less than 30
    steel wheels
    light on storage
    price too high
    no 10y/100k warranty
    no rebates

I think we got the most bang for the buck...........
    Makes sense.

Rabbit is quite a buy at $17K for what you get... but it does not meet your specs.

Of course I am partial... my old MK5.

A friend of mine recently picked up a Spectra sedan. She was just thrilled with it and wanted to show it off to me. I was fully prepared to be underimpressed.

Well, I must say that I was a bit staggered by the sheer number of amenities and conveniences found in what she says is the base model. Seemingly power everything, a very decent-sounding radio (with aux input in the console), lots of room in the cabin and the trunk, big warranty and low price.
    The car is definitely quiet, too! Seats are comfy...

While I still scoff at Hyundai, the Kia range has gained more than a few points with me. I think you and the li'l lady made a great buy! Enjoy!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates