Thread: NASA at Texas World Speedway (College Station) - April 19 & 20

Default NASA at Texas World Speedway (College Station) - April 19 & 20

The National Auto Sport Association of Texas is having an event at Texas World Speedway the weekend of April 19-20. This will be on the 2.9-mile circuit which incorporates the front straight and Turn 1 of the banked 1.5-mile oval. This event will have on track sessions for HPDE, Time Trials, regular NASA racing classes (Spec Miata, Performance Touring, Honda Challenge, etc.), plus a four-hour enduro on Sunday afternoon.

If you love cars and/or racing, this will be a great time. Over two hours of track time for HPDE/Time Trial entrants, plus plenty of racing action to watch when you're not on track in your own car!

I'll be down there running in HPDE 3 with some Honda Challenge buddies of mine. Anyone else planning on going?

---> Click here to register <---
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Any idea of any similar events that will be occurring after May 7th? I am pretty tied down with school until then, my final day of exams.

I ran that course this last weekend as a Solo type event.
    I fuel starved on the last part of lap 4. Started bellow 1/2 tank.

I guess the point is you will need LOTS of fuel for the RX.
    They sell it there.

General, was it a Solo I/time trial event? I wish you would have posted something about it! I would have been interested in that.

I found out about the fuel at MSR a few weeks ago. If I start a 20 minute session with less than half a tank, I risk fuel starving by the end. Autocrossing I could run until the fuel light came on, but I fuel-starved at MSR with 1/4 of a tank. I guess it's due to the longer duration lateral Gs.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    Any idea of any similar events that will be occurring after May 7th? I am pretty tied down with school until then, my final day of exams.
    There are events almost all year long. Just like autocross, several different organizers put on events at different tracks around the state:

NASA Texas

Apex Driving Academy

The Driver's Edge

COMMA (Competition Motorsports Association, exclusively at Hallett near Tulsa

Texas World Speedway Motorsports Club

Maverick Region Porsche Club of America

Lone Star Chapter, BMW Car Club of America
    Iain

Damn, too late of notice for me. I've never been to TWS yet so would love to try it out. I'll be running SM at Hallett the following weekend so I'll still get my fix in!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

The event was the 40th anniversary of the Texas A&M Sports Car Club. They use to have events called Aggiecross. Back before there were Street Prepared classes in Solo we ran events out at the speedway once a year. The events stopped when the speedway was redone about 1989 and the price for the track went out of site. Back before the day of lapping sessions this is all that track owners would let us do. The laps were timed from a standing start on the 2.9 ccw. It included a zig of cones before corner 1 to keep people from hitting the mud at 90 mph. Well the club has a tradition of working around rules so by mid day 1/2 the people were skipping the zig and driving through corner 1 like normal.

Anyway the group of drivers that showed up were still great drivers and all kinds of cool cars. Corvettes, (new and old), GT3's, Cobra's, Shelby's, and of course several fast Miata's. One example is Thomas Thrash. The EP National Road Racing Champion. (1st gen RX-7) He almost caught the full tilt dual everything, Pantera. Drivers are spaced about 20-30 seconds apart.

V8's and FI are king at that track except for the the one 12A rotary. I got beat by a Cadillac SVT on R-tires.

I was on the winning Lime Run Team.
    A lot of activities other than the track event.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    ...General, was it a Solo I/time trial event? I wish you would have posted something about it! I would have been interested in that.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    I got beat by a Cadillac SVT on R-tires.
    A Ford Cadilac?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Well if he passed me maybe I would have seen CTS-V.
    good catch... Shows you what I know about Cadillac.
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    A Ford Cadilac?

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    Shows you what I know about Cadillac.
    And that's a good thing!
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car