Thread: Digital Picture Frame Suggestions

Default Digital Picture Frame Suggestions

Anyone buy one of these? There are a lot of cheapy generic brands for 50-80 bucks but I'm looking for one that actually has a good display. I found a Kodak that has Wifi so you can connect to a home network and also dump pictures from Kodak Gallery online onto the frame but poor reviews on the actual functionality, too bad it's a good idea.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I bought two, gave one to my dad...he liked it at first..but I don't think he ever turns it on now.

I used mine alot - it played mp3's along with the changing pictures. I think lightening got to it or something...even though it was turned off and pluged in to a "strip" that was also turned off. It doesn't work now.

I wouldn't buy another one. They are kinda cool but the technology is too new and manufacturers are still working on the designs.

You can setup your computer with a slideshow that's bigger and better resolution as a screen saver. That's what I have now instead. I won't buy another one because I am in front of a computer at work...and a lot of times at home...and can see my slide show on them.

The upload features are cool...but I worry I am sacrificing privacy to have that feature.

:)

Thanks, this is a B-day present for my mom and she's not tech saavy enough to compile pictures and make a screen saver out of them. She can however take the SD card out of her Canon P&S camera and just slap it in a frame. I was also hoping with the wireless one I could update her frame with pictures here in TX so she could see them in CA. It supposidly has wifi encryption but lots of people have had problems setting it up.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I got one for my mom also. I didnt worry too much about picture quality because I knew she wouldnt. So I got the biggest one that had a decent resolution. I see alot now that are around $100 and 10" or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    I got one for my mom also. I didnt worry too much about picture quality because I knew she wouldnt. So I got the biggest one that had a decent resolution. I see alot now that are around $100 and 10" or so.
    Link? Most the 8" ones I saw were $100, 10" were 150+. Which one did you buy?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I got one from Kodak for Christmas and it has been running ever since. It is in the den and I enjoy walking by and seeing different images.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I just looked at a few at Circuit City, the HP and Kodak looked the nicest by far for both image quality and overall build/materials. The 10" one's definitely look a lot better than the 7 or 8" as well. I'd love to find a decent 10" for 100 bucks.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    The 10" one's definitely look a lot better than the 7 or 8" as well. I'd love to find a decent 10" for 100 bucks.
    TWSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    TWSS.
    TWSS?

I just ordered the 7" HP as it looked great in store and it has higher resolution than most the other 7" at 800X480 instead of 480X234. It also automatically resizes pictures which is nice and plays MP3 and MPEG4. $103 shipped buy.com with $20 off google checkout, not bad.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    It is in the den and I enjoy walking by and seeing different images.
    Let me know if you need some pics of me to load up.

TWSS?
    TWSS = That's What She Said™
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    TWSS = That's What She Said™
    LOL! Makes much more sense now.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

TWSS?

I just ordered the 7" HP as it looked great in store and it has higher resolution than most the other 7" at 800X480 instead of 480X234. It also automatically resizes pictures which is nice and plays MP3 and MPEG4. $103 shipped buy.com with $20 off google checkout, not bad.
    How much memory in that thing? Sounds like a cool way to watch video files. Must google how to convert xvid to MPEG4.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    How much memory in that thing? Sounds like a cool way to watch video files. Must google how to convert xvid to MPEG4.
    I think it only has 128mb internal but accepts, SD, XD, USB and some other formats. It would be pretty interesting to watch a 800X600 race video on it.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Suspension Modder

Default DIY digital picture frame

Last week I bought a used laptop, (an old acer) its just powerful enough to run XP. For handling the actual pictures I am using a program called "slickr". Slickr can pull from a local picture archive, or from a flickr account. What I have done is disassembled the LCD from the chassis, now I am going to build a frame for the LCD to sit in, and the laptop body will rest behind the LCD frame. Using slickr will allow me remotely update the pictures that are being displayed. What I really want to do is clad the picture frame in a stainless veneer. Speaking of which does anyone know where I can find some stainless veneer sheets or maybe copper veneer sheets locally? If you have the skills building a digital picture frame from and old laptop is not real hard.

Later,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    I bought two, gave one to my dad...he liked it at first..but I don't think he ever turns it on now.

I used mine alot - it played mp3's along with the changing pictures. I think lightening got to it or something...even though it was turned off and pluged in to a "strip" that was also turned off. It doesn't work now.

I wouldn't buy another one. They are kinda cool but the technology is too new and manufacturers are still working on the designs.
    I have a cheapo Westinghouse model sorta like this one (http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=50) that I got for Christmas in 2006. It's in my office at work and has been running non-stop since early 2007. Maybe I just got a "good one", but I like it a lot!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)